Home Forums Software InstaDMG My journey through InstaDMG

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    andyboutte
    Participant

You make a very good point and I am going to stop fiddling with packagemaker. correct me if I am wrong: $1/Contents/Resources will get me inside the package and $3/ will give me the root of the instadmg volume?

Thanks for all the advice.

dead2sin
    Participant

It will, but you’ll want the postflight to fix the permissions of the files after they are put into place by the package file.

I use JAMF’s Composer to build my post flights and have never had permissions issues with it at all. I think everyone should have it in their toolbox ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€

Nate

bw38
    Participant

Alright so I’m getting a little lost. I’ve tried looking up on how to apply permissions to files via terminal, but the firstboot.pkg that PackageMaker includes two more packages within it and I don’t know which files to apply the permissions to. I’ve tried changing the permissions via PackageMaker itself, but that apparently didn’t work or stick.

I’ve tried researching a lot of what you guys have been saying, but I’m not very familiar with how permissions work in packages in OS X. I tried researching Greg Neagle’s post on the payload-free package template and found this link: http://groups.google.com/group/macenterprise/browse_thread/thread/41ba6a49b18d0d20?fwc=1

I understand the concept, but what I actually have to do seems alien to me. I tried using Iceberg and it isn’t very intuitive as to what I need to do with the three files included the firstboot.dmg (the edu.school.firstboot.plist, firstboot.sh, and postflight.sh).

Is there a guide on how to do this manually, step by step, like there is for PackageMaker? It would make it easier for me and anyone who doesn’t care to use an interface. Or alternatively, if there’s a guide on how to do it with Composer, that would be helpful too.

Meanwhile, I’ll keep researching and looking around to see if I can figure it out on my own.

On a side note, what exactly is meant by “$1/Contents/Resources will get me inside the package and $3/ will give me the root of the instadmg volume?” I know $3 needed to be used one one of the files for Office 2011 (volume license). Is this part of scripting or something else specific to OS X systems? I’d like to learn more about these sort of things.

Rusty Myers
    Participant

bw38,

Check this out, it may help explain first boot packages and the bits behind them:

http://osxdeployment.com/wiki/SysAdminVideoSeries

andyboutte
    Participant

I wrote up a detailed explanation but the forum thought it was spam. anybody know how to get around this?

Rusty Myers
    Participant

Post it to osxdeployment.com

bw38
    Participant

Andy, if you could post that detailed explanation on osxdeployment.com that would be great. Not sure why this forum considers some code in posts spam. Sometimes splitting up a post into multiple posts helps.

TheSpider, I’d like to check that video out but it says I need a username/password from PSU. Not sure if the video is available elsewhere. If it is, let me know. I’m always looking for any videos.

I am also going to check out a video about Packages from Duncan McCracken found here: http://documentation.macsysadmin.se/2010/2010doc.html but I’m not sure if that will help me or not. A few other intriguing videos as well which I’ll check out as well.

Btw I can’t thank you all enough for assisting me with all this. I know many questions I have may seem simple to you all, but you’re assistance has been incredible. And I’m sure this thread will be at least somewhat useful if anyone else decides to get into InstaDMG and has similar questions as I do. I’ve made a decent amount of progress thus far I’d say.

Rusty Myers
    Participant

bw38, video permissions are fixed! Sorry about that!

dead2sin
    Participant

I updated the guide explaining how to get it working with PackageMaker. If the permissions are fixed in PackageMaker, it works (I tested it). I’ll be rewriting the guide for Iceberg when I have time. Iceberg will keep the permissions when downloaded and copied over, unlike the PackageMaker example files.

Nate

bw38
    Participant

Great, I’m going to take a peek at the video and new documentation this weekend, and test it next week.

andyboutte
    Participant

[QUOTE][u]Quote by: dead2sin[/u][p]I know firstboot packages work with InstaDMG, so I’m not sure what else could be causing it. PackageMaker might not be saving the permissions correctly or not applying them correctly after the files are placed. Perhaps creating the firstboot.pkg using another free packaging program would be a good troubleshooting step (I use Composer, which isn’t free, but it works 100% of the time for me).

Perhaps you could try using Iceberg and see if you come up with a different outcome: [url]http://s.sudre.free.fr/Software/Iceberg.html[/url]

Nate[/p][/QUOTE]

I tried iceberg and got the same results. I installed the pkg manually on my machine and all permissions and owner:group are set correctly. when I put it in my instadmg train all files are placed correctly and permissions are correct but the owner:group is always set to andyboutte:staff. I looked through both log files and didnt see anything out of the ordinary. I even tried building on a different machine and got the same results.

It looks to me like instadmg is causing my problems?

dead2sin
    Participant

So in Iceberg, the permissions are set to root:wheel for owner:group as well as being 655? You are running InstaDMG as root, correct? (I don’t think you can run it any other way, honestly…)

Something else has to be going wrong with the permissions. Try setting the correct permissions on the files themselves as well as in Iceberg and see if that works. I tested iceberg and it delivered the files with the proper permissions regardless of what they were in the project folder.

I doubt InstaDMG is messing up the permissions…I’ve never had it do that for it. If it is correct in the Package, then they’ll be correct on the image (InstaDMG merely installs the packages, it doesn’t really mess with permissions a whole lot)

Nate

Allister Banks
    Participant

644, not 655
    I think this thread has too many posts to it, and that’s why we’re getting the spam warning all the time. Let’s start a new thread?
    Also, Andy, please try chown’ing the file before you package it.

Allister

dead2sin
    Participant

Ah, yes. 644. I googled quickly to figure out which it should be and apparently Googled lide to me ๐Ÿ™‚ I fixed it on the wiki.

Nate

andyboutte
    Participant

I created a new thread [url]https://www.afp548.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=28003[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed