Home Forums Software InstaDMG My journey through InstaDMG

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    bw38
    Participant

I’m completely new to all this InstaDMG and I’ve set a few goals for this project that I’m carrying out. I’m not the most Mac savy but I can read and get my way around using logic. So far, I managed to create a successful vanilla image by following the guide on the Google Code website. I can boot into that just fine.

Today I wanted to test how to add regular applications that are simply dragged to the Applications folder (i.e FireFox). So I modified the 10.6_vanilla file and came up with the following:

bw38
    Participant

Apologies for making a second post, but the board software seems to think my posts are spam.

[code]
    Third Party Software:
    FireFox 3.6.10 /Users/myaccount/instadmg/InstallerFiles/InstaUp2DatePackages/Firefox 3.6.10.dmg sha1:6ffdca438b785f18bbb818727747dae7fece0fed
    [/code]
    I left the rest of the 10.6_vanilla catalog the same, but just added this piece.

I have a feeling that this was not how I was supposed to do it though, but I wasn’t sure how else to go about it. I wasn’t too clear if I should have a catalog file for every application I want to add to the image. So I created a FireFox catalog (called FireFox.catalog) which wasn’t quite working properly. I was able to do the checksum. So I figured maybe if I run the command in the InstaDMG guide like this:
    “sudo ./instadmg/AddOns/InstaUp2Date/instaUp2Date.py 10.6_vanilla FireFox –process”

But that gave me all sorts of weird messages in Terminal. So I decided to just add the FireFox line in Third Party Software in the 10.6_vanilla Catalog file. That seems to have worked.

But the next piece didn’t work. I wanted to bypass the Registration screens on first boot. I searched and found this package called “clearReg.pkg”. But when I tried adding it in the 10.6_vanilla catalog file (same as I did with FireFox), it doesn’t work. I don’t know why. Terminal gives me a bunch of error messages:

[code]Parsing the catalog files for clearReg
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File “./instadmg/AddOns/InstaUp2Date/instaUp2Date.py”, line 665, in
    main()
    File “./instadmg/AddOns/InstaUp2Date/instaUp2Date.py”, line 611, in main
    thisController.parseCatalogFile()
    File “./instadmg/AddOns/InstaUp2Date/instaUp2Date.py”, line 274, in parseCatalogFile
    raise Exception(‘Error in config file: %s line number: %i\n%s’ % (fileLocation, lineNumber, line)) # TODO: improve error handling
    Exception: Error in config file: /Users/myaccount/instadmg/AddOns/InstaUp2Date/CatalogFiles/clearReg.catalog line number: 18
    clearReg /Users/myaccount/instadmg/InstallerFiles/InstaUp2DatePackages/clearReg.dmg sha1:0cf3080cc0179fe63883e40a180f6a92b573fd70
    [/code]

Why is it that I’m getting these error messages? I feel like I’m doing something wrong here. I’ve tried reading over and over through the documentation that’s available, but I’m not really getting anywhere.

How should I be using the clearReg.pkg? I know it’s not a program, it’s supposed to be two files to bypass the registration screen on first boot.
    And once I get that applied correctly, would I follow the same procedure to run the CreateUser.pkg that was downloaded with InstaDMG?

I’ll keep using this thread to post any questions and to track my journey as I hopefully create the first InstaDMG image at my organization.

dead2sin
    Participant

If the files are in InstaUp2DatePackages, you do not need the full path. Also, It is worth nothing that you should never put stuff in 10.6_vanilla.catalog. Always make another catalog and call Vanilla using this:

[code]include-file: 10.6_vanilla.catalog[/code]

I’m not sure if you saw this guide or not, but it covers a lot of best practice type stuff and is a basic setup guide for InstaUp2Date: [url]http://www.osxdeployment.info/wiki/InstaUp2Date_Guide[/url]

There are some good examples there of catalog files and how you would want to string them together, etc. I’d suggest going through the guide and if you run into more issues/errors, feel free to ask.

Nate

nobrainer
    Participant

[QUOTE][u]Quote by: dead2sin[/u][p]If the files are in InstaUp2DatePackages, you do not need the full path. Also, It is worth nothing that you should never put stuff in 10.6_vanilla.catalog. Always make another catalog and call Vanilla using this:

[code]include-file: 10.6_vanilla.catalog[/code]

I’m not sure if you saw this guide or not, but it covers a lot of best practice type stuff and is a basic setup guide for InstaUp2Date: [url]http://www.osxdeployment.info/wiki/InstaUp2Date_Guide[/url]

There are some good examples there of catalog files and how you would want to string them together, etc. I’d suggest going through the guide and if you run into more issues/errors, feel free to ask.

Nate

[/p][/QUOTE]

Having gone through this same guide to complete a project here a couple weeks ago. Following it step by step will get you about 99.9% of the way through, even with doing some more advanced items. If you get stuck, just ask!

dead2sin
    Participant

Any luck with this? Get it working?

Nate

bw38
    Participant

I’ve been following the guide to the letter, but haven’t actually been able to test it as of yet. It’s been a ridiculous week. But when I finish testing, I’ll post a status update.

dead2sin
    Participant

I know the feeling! I had 3 crazy weeks at the beginning of the semester. Thankfully stuff has calmed down and I have more time to focus on improving my process instead of barely keeping my head above water 🙂

Nate

bw38
    Participant

So I’ve been doing a bit of work on InstaDMG today by following that guide (which is really helpful btw!). I want to include iLife 09 since it always comes with Macs. However I don’t have a copy of the DVD for the iLife 09 suite. I do have a copy of the second Apple restore disk which contains applications (iLife 09). However I’m not sure how to go about getting iLife from this disk. I tried using Pacifist to extract the packages but that only creates folders of each package I extract. The next step will be to include Office 2011 but I need to read through the instructions that dead2sin created. Anyways, thanks again for all the help thus far.

bw38
    Participant

So I’m still looking for help with the iLife 09.

But I decided to continue testing to make sure I’m doing everything right. So far, I managed to get an image that uses:
    CreateUser
    clearReg

and has software:
    Office 2011
    FireFox 3.6.10
    Flip4mac 2.3.5.4

along with the typical updates in the vanilla script.

I think I may have screwed up the CreateUser password though. The password we use here includes an “!” without quotations. And I wasn’t very sure how to include that. I wasn’t able to do so when I used the password hash instructions. Any ideas on how to do this? I was able to reset the password with the OS X Disk just to make sure everything else works fine. But I need to get this fixed if possible.

Also, how I can created a second account for the user who is getting the machine? So for example, now I have the Administrator account, but can I get a second account called Joe Schmoe that has no password?

And lastly, how would I go about adding apps to the dock for all accounts that have been created?

More questions to come, but baby steps for now. I feel I accomplished a great deal today thanks to your instructions!

dead2sin
    Participant

[QUOTE][u]Quote by: bw38[/u][p]So I’m still looking for help with the iLife 09.

But I decided to continue testing to make sure I’m doing everything right. So far, I managed to get an image that uses:
    CreateUser
    clearReg

and has software:
    Office 2011
    FireFox 3.6.10
    Flip4mac 2.3.5.4

I think I may have screwed up the CreateUser password though. The password we use here includes an “!” without quotations. And I wasn’t very sure how to include that. I wasn’t able to do so when I used the password hash instructions. Any ideas on how to do this? I was able to reset the password with the OS X Disk just to make sure everything else works fine. But I need to get this fixed if possible.

Also, how I can created a second account for the user who is getting the machine? So for example, now I have the Administrator account, but can I get a second account called Joe Schmoe that has no password?

And lastly, how would I go about adding apps to the dock for all accounts that have been created?

More questions to come, but baby steps for now. I feel I accomplished a great deal today thanks to your instructions![/p][/QUOTE]

for creatuser, you want to either put the whole password in quotes, or escape the symbols like this:

[email protected]$$w0rd!”
    or
    p\@\$\$w0rd\!

For a second account, if it is generic, you can use create user. If it needs to be a specific person’s name, then I suggest just taking cleareg out of your build and let the setup assistant run on first boot (then you can customize the user account there).

Adding apps to docks is not too horrible. Basically, build the image and put it on a machine. Then, customize the dock icons however you’d like them. After that is complete, go to ~/Library/Preferences and grab com.apple.dock.plist. Take this plist and create a package that installs it to the following location:

[code]/System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library/Preferences/[/code]

This makes it so that each new user gets the customized dock.

Nate

bw38
    Participant

[QUOTE][u]Quote by: dead2sin[/u][p][QUOTE][u]Quote by: bw38[/u][p]So I’m still looking for help with the iLife 09.

CreateUser
    clearReg

and has software:
    Office 2011
    FireFox 3.6.10
    Flip4mac 2.3.5.4

More questions to come, but baby steps for now. I feel I accomplished a great deal today thanks to your instructions![/p][/QUOTE]

for creatuser, you want to either put the whole password in quotes, or escape the symbols like this:

[email protected]$$w0rd!”
    or
    p\@\$\$w0rd\!

For a second account, if it is generic, you can use create user. If it needs to be a specific person’s name, then I suggest just taking cleareg out of your build and let the setup assistant run on first boot (then you can customize the user account there).

Adding apps to docks is not too horrible. Basically, build the image and put it on a machine. Then, customize the dock icons however you’d like them. After that is complete, go to ~/Library/Preferences and grab com.apple.dock.plist. Take this plist and create a package that installs it to the following location:

[code]/System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library/Preferences/[/code]

This makes it so that each new user gets the customized dock.

Nate[/p][/QUOTE]
    For the password, I did do just that. In fact I followed the instructions in the readme in that CreateUser.pkg and also in the wiki page. Whenever I use the quotations, it will not go through in Terminal if I use the “!”. It went through when I did it with the “\” but apparently that didn’t work because I couldn’t log on.

dead2sin
    Participant

Hrmmm. It seems that ! might be a problem character for bash. I’m not 100% sure, but I just tried to echo it and got this:

[code]echo “blah!”
    -bash: !”: event not found

echo “blah\!”
    blah\!

echo blah\!
    blah!
    [/code]
    It *looks* like escaping it has worked and I can confirm that putting it in quotes doesn’t work.

I also tried:
    [code]
    echo p\@\$\$w0rd\!
    [email protected]$$w0rd!
    [/code]
    I would double check when you generate the hash that each symbol is getting escaped. Just to make sure we are doing it exactly the same way, it should be like this:

[code]./shadowhash p\@\$\$w0rd\! > password_hash[/code]

If it doesn’t work doing it just like that with all the symbols escaped, I’m not sure what would cause it. This might warrant more research if you can’t get it working.

Nate

bw38
    Participant

I made a silly mistake it would seem. I had initially used the format of ./shadowhash p\@\$\$w0rd\! > password_hash but only did it on the “!” ignoring the other special characters in the password. After realizing that mistake, I was able to log into the Admin account I created successfully.

The only thing I’m struggling with right now is trying to create a second account using the CreateUser.pkg. So I actually created two packages: createAdminUser.pkg and createGenericUser.pkg, but the second package did not work apparently. Not sure why. Perhaps I’m doing that wrong.

The other problem I’m running into is that PackageMaker is crashing on me whenever I try to make a package for iDVD. I think I may have to wipe this volume at this point though. But I’ve reached a point where I have most of the items I want in my image. I’m now missing the big items like Adobe CS4 and Final Cut Pro.

Other minor things include setting the sleep settings and screen savers requesting password immediately.

dead2sin
    Participant

As far as two createuser packages are concerned, make sure in your config file that you are not manually specifying the user GUID. They must be different, otherwise the second one will definitely fail.

As far as the other settings, if you poke around there is a lot of good info one some of those settings. I’ve never repacked iDVD myself, I generally just install all of iLife 09 or 08 as well as the updates. Final Cut Pro is easy to package if you have composer, but I’ve never tried it with PackageMaker, so I can’t promise it’ll package right up using it. Packaging up CS4 is tricky as well, I’ve never successfully done it with PackageMaker (I’ve tried!), but I know it can be done with Composer and perhaps one of the free ones as well.

Nate

bw38
    Participant

[QUOTE][u]Quote by: dead2sin[/u][p]As far as two createuser packages are concerned, make sure in your config file that you are not manually specifying the user GUID. They must be different, otherwise the second one will definitely fail.

As far as the other settings, if you poke around there is a lot of good info one some of those settings. I’ve never repacked iDVD myself, I generally just install all of iLife 09 or 08 as well as the updates. Final Cut Pro is easy to package if you have composer, but I’ve never tried it with PackageMaker, so I can’t promise it’ll package right up using it. Packaging up CS4 is tricky as well, I’ve never successfully done it with PackageMaker (I’ve tried!), but I know it can be done with Composer and perhaps one of the free ones as well.

Nate[/p][/QUOTE]
    I’ll keep that in mind about the GUID. I believe I left it alone so that it auto generates one. Will check again tomorrow.

I was going to try to install all of iLife but for some reason PackageMaker crashes when I tried to add iDVD and GarageBand into the package I was creating. It’s very odd.

Which other free packaging software do you know of that can do Adobe CS4?

I looked into Composer a few weeks ago but figured I’d try all the free alternatives first before I make a case for actually needing to purchase software.

On a related note, the other program I need to include in this image is SPSS. I tried doing a before and after capture to create a package which did not seem to work very well at all. I looked around the forum for SPSS but not many mentions of it. I currently have the latest version IBM SPSS 19. Any ideas on how I could package this? The installer itself is an .app but you can see inside the “app” when clicking Show Package contents. Anyone have any history with trying to include SPSS in an image?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed