Home Forums Software InstaDMG iLife 11 Packages

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    dead2sin
    Participant

Interesting. I could of sworn I did it from pre-installed software. Either way, Composer is up to the task.

Nate

tristan_mason
    Participant

second that.

andyboutte
    Participant

[QUOTE]

Andyboutte or anyone, any idea why your solution posted on 2/4 works with instaup2date but not regular instadmg?

Goldberg[/p][/QUOTE]

I also only use instaup2date but does your distribution file look like this?

http://pastebin.com/b1i7zDWA

Goldberg
    Participant

I’m doing something wrong. I followed andyboutte directions from 2/4. InstaDMG installs the iLife’11 package on the root of the drive instead of installing the programs. If I double click on the iLife’11 package on the root it does fully install).

I think my Distribution file is wrong. I posted it here: http://pastebin.com/1VFxgNmY

Thanks for all your help

Goldberg

andyboutte
    Participant

[QUOTE][u]Quote by: Goldberg[/u][p]I’m doing something wrong. I followed andyboutte directions from 2/4. InstaDMG installs the iLife’11 package on the root of the drive instead of installing the programs. If I double click on the iLife’11 package on the root it does fully install).

I think my Distribution file is wrong. I posted it here: http://pastebin.com/1VFxgNmY

Thanks for all your help

Goldberg[/p][/QUOTE]

your distribution file looked good but honestly I did not understand everything you were saying. what do you mean by this:

[QUOTE]InstaDMG installs the iLife’11 package on the root of the drive instead of installing the programs.[/QUOTE]

here is a link to my distribution file: https://files.me.com/andyboutte/bgtes1

Goldberg
    Participant

What I meant was after I built the image and restore it, when I open the Hard Drive the iLife.pkg file (with the orange open box icon) is on the hard drive next to the other root level folders (Apps, Users etc.). When I click on iLife.pkg it installs iLife normally.

Thanks for sharing your distribution file. I’ll test with that.

Marnin

andyboutte
    Participant

that makes more sense and is very strange. let me know if the distribution file fixes it.

Tim Sutton
    Participant

Hi all,

Just wanted to confirm that following andyboutte’s directions on editing the distribution file worked.

If I would just change the alias to a symlink, it would work via the Finder but not via installer at the command-line.. to echo others’ experience.

Thanks!

Goldberg
    Participant

Cygnus2112, are using InstaUp2Date or just InstaDMG? I tested andyboutte’s directions including his full distribution file with InstaDMG (I’m not using InstaUp2Date) and it doesn’t work for me yet. I understand and follow the directions but I keep getting the iLife.pkg file on the root of the drive. Hmm…

andyboutte
    Participant

[QUOTE][u]Quote by: Goldberg[/u][p]Cygnus2112, are using InstaUp2Date or just InstaDMG? I tested andyboutte’s directions including his full distribution file with InstaDMG (I’m not using InstaUp2Date) and it doesn’t work for me yet. I understand and follow the directions but I keep getting the iLife.pkg file on the root of the drive. Hmm…[/p][/QUOTE]

I will test out just instadmg and let you know the results.

Tim Sutton
    Participant

[QUOTE][u]Quote by: Goldberg[/u][p]Cygnus2112, are using InstaUp2Date or just InstaDMG? I tested andyboutte’s directions including his full distribution file with InstaDMG (I’m not using InstaUp2Date) and it doesn’t work for me yet. I understand and follow the directions but I keep getting the iLife.pkg file on the root of the drive. Hmm…[/p][/QUOTE]

I am using instaUp2Date. AFAIK instaUp2Date will install the first package it finds at the root of the .dmg. I only briefly used instaDMG before I switched to up2Date, so I can’t think off-hand what could be causing the issue in your case – if you can properly install your dist-edited .pkg via the command-line, something weird is going on with instaDMG.

Of course, instaUp2Date is just queuing up instaDMG in the background anyway, it just has more sophisticated logic (among many other things!) for building its work queue.

Goldberg
    Participant

Actually, I used BBEdit to edit the distribution file to match andyboutte’s file. When that didn’t work I started from scratch, convert the ilife11.dmg to read/write etc. I then opened the distribution in ilifeexanded.pkg and copied and pasted in his entire distribution file. I made sure both times the permissions were were the same as for original.

I agree instaUp2Date is more sophisticated but InstaDMG is working fine for my needs (well, outside of iLife11).

Thank you for all your help and input. I will get this to work!

andyboutte
    Participant

using just instadmg I couldnt get my modified ilife11 to work. I got this error:

Install failed: The Installer can’t locate the data it needs to install the software. Check your install media or Internet connection and try again, or contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

same error I was getting using instaup2date using an unmodified ilife.

knowmad
    Participant

here is another spin on the deal.
    Because I have a base image WITH certain software that I use for the next X months, I often add non-trivial installs to the base-image setup manually so that I don’t have to sit through them each time I change my image. Right now only the 10.6.6 combo update and the ilife 11 install are in my pre-cache base image.
    I created a folder and copied the contents of the ilife install dvd to that folder (JUST the installer packages, nothing else, all into one folder) and then I added the following lines to my instadmg script:

[code]
    log “Begining iLife11 installation” information
    /usr/sbin/installer -verboseR -dumplog -pkg “./InstallerFiles/02/Packages/iLife.pkg” -target “$TARGET_IMAGE_MOUNT” -lang “$ISO_CODE” 2>&1 | (while read INPUT; do log “$INPUT ” detail; done)
    log “iLife11 installed” information
    [/code]
    That is placed at approximately line 790 just before the create cached image section.
    simple, kludgy, but it works and it does for me what I needed which was ilife 11 on ALL my images, without waiting 30 minutes each time.

robo
    Participant

Just wanted to mention that I confirmed with JAMF that there is still no diff for iLife 11, and no plans to create one.

However, I was able to get iLife 11 into my InstaDMG/InstaUp2Date build train quite easily with minimal messing around by simply copying the Installer/Packages/ folder off the iLife 11 DVD into my InstaUp2DatePackages folder (I put it into an ‘iLIfe 11 packages’ folder in there just to make it clear what it was), then symlinking ‘Install iLIfe.pkg’ in InstaUp2DatePackages to InstaUp2DatePackages/iLife 11 packages/Installer/Packages/iLife.pkg

I then ran checksum.py on the Install iLife.pkg symlink, added the line to the right catalog, and bingo.

It worked great, and was then updated nicely by the included iLife11_updates.catalog

The only oddness (and I don’t think this was caused by my method, but I’d be curious to know if others have see it) is that shortcuts to iMovie and Garageband were added to the dock [i]on the computer creating the InstaDMG build[/i]. This seems like it might be a bug in Apple’s iLIfe installer. Rather odd, but all else seems well.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed