Home Forums Software InstaDMG iLife 11 Packages

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Goldberg
    Participant

What methods are people using to deploy iLife 11? I can do a snapshot and repackage with Composer but is there a better method?

Thanks!

snk
    Participant

Have you tried just dropping the iLife installer pkg into your instaDMG build train?

I haven’t gotten my hands on ’11 yet, but I’ve had success building images with the straight-up installer package from the DVD in ’09.

larkost
    Participant

I have not yet had a chance to try out the new iLife in InstaDMG, but I did do a little work with it at work. So far here are my observations:

1) They are doing the same hide-the-real-installer-packages-in-folders trick that they have been doing for a while.

2) The outermost link to the real installer unfortunately is an alias file. This is really unfortunate because anything that uses the command line can’t use aliases… so you have to work around it (I replaced that file with a softlink and things work fine).

3) I have done a very little work with installing it to a non-booted volume, and when that volume is subsequently booted iPhoto started up fine. I have had no time at all to verify that everything is exactly as it should be with a normall install, but at least the first look went well. This bodes well for using it with InstaDMG… but I might have to do a little work to make some code to recognize aliases… *grr*

Goldberg
    Participant

Interesting. larkost, how did you replace that file with a softlink to get things working with InstaDMG?

Thank you

purpanther
    Participant

This is working for me via ARD (a saved installation template) and instadmg (lots of checksums):

Install all the files from the iLife 11 installation DVD in order that the iLIfe.pkg file installs them:

iLifeRegistration
    iLifeCookie
    AppleIntermediateCodec
    RAWCameraUpdate3
    iLifeMediaBrowser
    iLifeSlideshow_v2
    iLifeFaceRecognition
    iLifeAudioAnalysis
    iPhoto
    iPhotoContent
    iPhotoLibraryUpgradeTool
    ProAppRuntimeFlat
    iMovie
    iMovie_PreviousFolder
    iDVD
    GarageBand
    GarageBand_Instruments
    GarageBandFactoryContent
    GarageBand_LTPContent
    GarageBand_Loops
    GaregeBand_MagicContent
    iLifeSoundEffects_Loops
    iWeb
    iLifeRegistrationPost

Goldberg
    Participant

That’s an idea. So you have 24 folders just for iLife ’11? That’s crazy but I’ll try it.

Thanks!

foilpan
    Participant

you could probably wrap up the installers in one .mpkg instead. i’m not sure why apple doesn’t do that in the first place.

andyinindy
    Participant

FYI, I was able to copy all of the PKG files from the install DVD and use the “Packages” app to roll them into an MPKG (in the order posted by purpanther). Iceberg and Packagemaker will not work, since these are flat packages.

[url]http://s.sudre.free.fr/Software/Packages.html[/url]

Adding it to my workflow now, hopefully it’ll work!

purpanther
    Participant

I put the packages inside of an ilife 11 folder in my instadmg folder to keep things clean(er).

Sable

andyboutte
    Participant

Does anybody have any updates for this? sounds like the softlink is the easiest and most manageable.

Greg Neagle
    Participant

[QUOTE][u]Quote by: andyboutte[/u][p]Does anybody have any updates for this? sounds like the softlink is the easiest and most manageable. [/p][/QUOTE]

Yup. Just make a read-write disk image of the install DVD and replace the alias at the top level that points to Installer/Packages/iLife.pkg with a symlink. Optionally convert back to read-only compressed disk image.

-Greg

andyboutte
    Participant

So I tried that but am still having problems. Here is what ls looks like for my symlink:

lrwxr-xr-x 1 andyboutte staff 59 Jan 29 11:51 iLife.pkg -> /Volumes/iLife ’11 Install DVD/Installer/Packages/iLife.pkg

here is the entry from the log:

Working on folder 08 iLife11 (22:57:38)
    Mounting the package dmg: iLife11.dmg (/private/tmp/idmg_temp.UjapA1/items-ESF5fm/08 iLife11) at: /private/tmp/idmg.MIsU/idmg_mp.YYIb
    Installing iLife.pkg
    Folder 08 iLife11 done (22:57:40)

its obviously not being installed because its only taking 2 seconds. when trying to manually install ilife11 on my instadmg boot system it only give me the upgrade option. should this matter for instadmg?

dead2sin
    Participant

I repacked iLife ’11 using the Composer Pre-installed software preset and it worked great. I know not everyone has Composer, but I wanted to throw it out there that it handles it out of the box, as well as CS5.

Nate

andyboutte
    Participant

[QUOTE][u]Quote by: dead2sin[/u][p]I repacked iLife ’11 using the Composer Pre-installed software preset and it worked great. I know not everyone has Composer, but I wanted to throw it out there that it handles it out of the box, as well as CS5.
    [/p][/QUOTE]

That is a very good idea that I did not think of. when I went to try that I did not see ilife11 as an option. I updated my diffs and still dont see it. Were you referring to something else?

dead2sin
    Participant

Nope. You must have iLife 2011 installed before it will show up in pre-installed software. You can’t package something using diffs thats not installed yet.

Nate

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed