Home Forums OS X Server and Client Discussion Misc. Where’s My Network and Workgroup

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Nazteq
    Participant

I have three Macs running 10.4.8, two have My Network and Workgroup as sub-categories to Network in the Finder, one does not and simply displays computers in the first column in the same way that 10.3.x does.

Does anyone know if there is a way to turn on the Network Grouping function? David Pogue says in Tiger Missing Manual that it depends on size and complexity of your network, which sounds like a nice way to say “It doesn’t always populate….” Since all three computers are the same net, if complexity is the key, I would think all three would show My Network and Workgroup.

Macs that do: Intel iMac and G3 iMac. Mac that doesn’t: PowerBook G4.

Maurits
    Participant

I think of two things:
    -the powerbook that does not ‘see’ the workgroup has SMB browsing turned off (with Directory Access utility)
    -the computers are not synced with the list of workgroups (may take a few reboots, or a few hours)

On a small network, where all computers have the same workgroup name (default is WORKGROUP) the finder will not split up the file servers in the Network browsing, and show a list of computer names.

If there is one computer that has different name for its workgroup (or with appletalk zone) all computers should suddenly split up all file servers into My network, WORKGROUP (and any other workgroup name/appletalk zone), but that may take a while as noted above.

You can change the workgroup name of the mac in Directory Access (SMB options)

read this kbase for more information:[url] http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107804%5B/url%5D
    maurits

Nazteq
    Participant

Good suggestions. The drive had a stiction problem and had to be replaced. With a fresh OS, the sub-groups populate just like they should.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed