Home Forums OS X Server and Client Discussion Misc. Volume names with -1 added in /Volumes/

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    timbuk2
    Participant

I’m wondering if anyone here knows a solution to a problem that I have: Some apps in this world that expects to find a mounted volume in /Volumes/ and doesn’t tend to create a folder with the same name in that specific location. FotoStation is one example of such an app. InDesign also appears to do this occasionally. The problem arises when the user realizes they didn’t have the expected volume mounted and promptly mounts it. Since the folder with same name is already there the mounted volume gets the same name with “-1” added. For example if you start the app FotoStation and it expects the volume “Pictures” and doesn’t find it will create a folder with that name. If you then actully mount that volume it will be called “Pictures-1” in /Volumes/ but the mount will look prefectly legit on the desktop. The problem then is that anything you do from here on will either not work (FotoStation) or all your searchpaths will be incorrect (InDesign) if you work with a volume mounted with the -1 added to the name.

What I wonder is, is there anyway to either prevent the OS from mounting the volume with the added -1, or at least get a warning that there is a folder with the same name already there? Or some other clever solution?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed