Home Forums AFP548 Community Open Mike Upgrading from 10.2.8 Server to 10.3.3- What can I expect?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    johnkharrison
    Participant

We have 5 OS X servers (1 parent, four children)
    The parent server handles NetInfo and Networked Home Folders for all Staff users.
    The other servers are for Student Networked Homes and Network Apps.
    Each server has “Group” directories that are shared across the network.

I want to upgrade the servers to 10.3.3, but I am a little worried about what might happen during the transition from NetInfo to Open Directory for user authentication.. We have a password server set up currently. My “test” server didn’t go so well- I couldn’t authenticate and I had to reset passwords. Using the Open Directory migration tool didn’t work. It stalled at 50% for over a day!

We have about 700 users in the current NIDB.

We have cloned backups of the entire system in case the upgrade fails, so I can restore if necessary.

We have forward and reverse DNS for our subnets.

Anything I am missing?

Right now the 10.2.8 system is humming along nicely, but I am really anxious to use the improvements with 10.3 server- and hopefully the clients will see some kind of a performance boost.

And lastly- what if two of the servers (child 1 and 2) stay at 10.2.8? I haven’t purchased licenses for all 5 servers yet. Those two specific machines are only doing AFP filesharing and group folders.

dblan
    Participant

server admin shows its running, but I can’t receive email. the log file notes permission problems.

if you encounter this and/or if you fix this, let me know

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed