Home Forums OS X Server and Client Discussion Updates Updates won’t apply – installer just stops at “locating relocatable files”

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mcnaugha
    Participant

We can’t apply the 10.4.9 Update. I’ve seen this happen on 3 Tiger servers now with other updates too.

The installer installs the admin tools, etc… when it gets to the actual OS update it hangs at “locating relocatable files” (which can only be seen in the installer log). The GUI stops at “Configuring installation”. No error messages. No freezing. No feedback at all. Just nothing. Have to force quit the update.

I previously got the update to run by extracting it from the mpkg and taking out the VolumeCheck script. This isn’t working this time. If I manually run the OS update the VolumeCheck says that no volumes are suitable for installation. This doesn’t make any sense.

(Automatic) Software Update fails too.

Help!

mcnaugha
    Participant

That’s the only way I hadn’t tried. Here is the output – which occurs almost immediately:

installer: Cannot install on volume / because its disabled.
    installer: You are attempting an unsupported installation. Please download and install the correct package.

This happens with both the Delta and Combo PPC updates. This is most definitely a PPC system.

Because 3 out of 4 of the packages contained in the Server updates ran successfully… I am testing directly with the OS package and not the others.

krunk
    Participant

I’m having a similar issue here, hanging at “Locating relocatable files” in the log and “Configuring Installer” from the installer -mpkg update.mpkg -target / -verbose

I do not see “cannot install on volume / because it is disabled” error though.

*Edit* I manually ran the MacOSXSvrBaseUpd10.4.9PPC.pkg with installer and, like the above poster, get the following output:

installer: Cannot install on volume / because its disabled.
    installer: You are attempting an unsupported installation. Please download and install the correct package.

But as you can see, this *is* the correct package:

$ softwareupdate -l
    Software Update Tool
    Copyright 2002-2005 Apple

Software Update found the following new or updated software:
    * MacOSXServerUpd10.4.9PPC-10.4.9
    Mac OS X Server Update (PowerPC) (10.4.9), 133290K [recommended] [restart]

mcnaugha
    Participant

I hear myself saying “that’s great news”, meaning we are not alone… but it’s not really great that you’re also having the problem.

Do you have any Apple support channel you can escalate to? I’ve tried mine (Service Provider email support)… but so far radio silence.

I have also logged a bug with AppleSeed… however it may be too late to get anything done about it through this channel.

krunk
    Participant

[QUOTE][u]Quote by: mcnaugha[/u][p]I hear myself saying “that’s great news”, meaning we are not alone… but it’s not really great that you’re also having the problem.

Do you have any Apple support channel you can escalate to? I’ve tried mine (Service Provider email support)… but so far radio silence.

I have also logged a bug with AppleSeed… however it may be too late to get anything done about it through this channel.[/p][/QUOTE]

I’ve posted to the mac-osx-server lists with the same details provided above. If I don’t get a lead from them, I have a direct line to an apple server engineer. I just don’t like to bother him until I’ve done due diligence.

mcnaugha
    Participant

Guess what… you just have to be patient. One system took ten minutes of sitting at “locating relocatable files” before proceeding with the rest of the update.

Both troubled servers now happily running 10.4.9.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed