Home Forums Software InstaDMG Unable to image a 10.8 InstallESD.dmg file

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Bolthar
    Participant

Okay this is driving me crazy. I am hoping that someone can help me out here. I have a center with over 150 macs and they have for the most part all been upgraded using a disk of the installesd.dmg and walking around to  each machine.

Now on snow leopard, leopard, and lion we took the media put it in the drive and did the quick start –

svn checkout http://instadmg.googlecode.com/svn/trunk instadmg

sudo ./instadmg/AddOns/InstaUp2Date/importDisk.py –automatic –legacy

and

sudo ./instadmg/AddOns/InstaUp2Date/instaUp2Date.py 10.6_vanilla –process

So I ran into a number of problems with I did this on a 10.8 mountain lion machine

1) I could not svn in bash it says its unknwon. I can do this in lion and snow leopard so I went to a snow leopard and did the svn command and then moved the media to the mountain lion.

2) then I could not do the second command. I read forums and they indicated with 10.8 you don’t have to if you take the InstallESD.dmg and put it in the BaseOS folder so I did that.

3) Then I could not do the last line until I made my own catalog file. Again I made it out of things out on the net (https://github.com/n8felton/Mac-OS-X-Scripts/blob/master/InstaDMG/CatalogFiles/10.8_vanilla.catalog) and then I put that with the other catalogs. then it downloaded but then it failed at where it is supposed to find the InstallESD.dmg file

Just in case I also copied it to my snow lepoard machine and I ran the same command and it failed there as well.

basically it parses the catalog, finds and validates the sources for the java at Finding the Installer disk is where it fails-

Parsing the catalog files for 10.8_vanilla

Java for OS X 2012-004

Finding and validating the sources for 10.8_vanilla

Java for OS X 2012-004 – found based on checksum and verified in less than one secondMegabytes/sec)

Finding the Installer disc for 10.8_vanilla

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “./AddOns/InstaUp2Date/instaUp2Date.py”, line 716, in <module>

main()

File “./AddOns/InstaUp2Date/instaUp2Date.py”, line 678, in main

foundInstallerDiscs = findInstallerDisc.findInstallerDisc(allowedBuilds=thisController.installerDiscBuilds)

File “/Users/usrmm02/instadmg/AddOns/InstaUp2Date/Resources/findInstallerDisc.py”, line 201, in findInstallerDisc

raise commonExceptions.FileNotFoundException(‘Unable to find OS Installer disc in any provided folder: %s%s’ % (str(searchItems), folderString))

Resources.commonExceptions.FileNotFoundException: Unable to find OS Installer disc in any provided folder: [‘/Users/usrmm02/instadmg/InstallerFiles/InstallerDiscs’, ‘/Users/usrmm02/instadmg/InstallerFiles/BaseOS’] ([‘.DS_Store’, ‘.svn’, ‘InstallESD.dmg’], [‘.DS_Store’, ‘.svn’])

Any ideas on why installesd.dmg is not being found when its in the directories being searched?

n8felton
    Participant

That issue is generally from having any volumes mounted. Have you tried running the command after rebooting the system yet?

Bolthar
    Participant

I am sorry it has taken me so long to respond to this. I have been putting out a ton of other fires and just got back to this. I have indeed rebooted and I have even done this on MULTIPLE machines even onces that are newly imaged and whatnot. I continue to get this isue no matter how I give this a try.

1) Reboot does not fix.

2)Can’t do this process at all on a 10.8 machine it has to be a 10.7 or lower.

3)Nothing is mounted at all.

4) burnt media named the same as the media name looked for in the script and installesd.dmg in one of the folders all do not work for me.

ramuntcho
    Participant

Hello,

I have quite the same problem. Last year i made images for MacOSX 10.7.4 with success (on MacOSX 10.7.2). So this year, i clone the system and restore a new machine for trying to make images with MacOSX 10.8.2. I update instaDMG to rev 458. I use InstallESD.dmg found in the Apple installer for the 10.8.2, a general catalog with 2 updates (Java and iTunes) and when i enter sudo ./instaUp2Date.py -p general, i have this :

Parsing the catalog files for general
    000JavaForOSX
    000iTunes10.7

Finding and validating the sources for general
    000JavaForOSX – found based on guessed name and verified in less than one second
    000iTunes10.7 – found based on guessed name and verified in 1 second

Finding the Installer disc for general
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File “./instaUp2Date.py”, line 716, in
    main()
    File “./instaUp2Date.py”, line 680, in main
    foundInstallerDiscs = findInstallerDisc.findInstallerDisc()
    File “/Users/ramac/InstaDMG/AddOns/InstaUp2Date/Resources/findInstallerDisc.py”, line 201, in findInstallerDisc
    raise commonExceptions.FileNotFoundException(‘Unable to find OS Installer disc in any provided folder: %s%s’ % (str(searchItems), folderString))
    Resources.commonExceptions.FileNotFoundException: Unable to find OS Installer disc in any provided folder: [‘/Users/ramac/InstaDMG/InstallerFiles/BaseOS’] ([‘.DS_Store’, ‘.svn’, ‘InstallESD.dmg’])

Last year, i put InstallESD.dmg in InstallerDiscs folder, but now i try InstallerDiscs or BaseOS folders, and always this message that it is unable to find OS Installer disc. I have reboot many time, put out the InstallESD.dmg from the folder, and put on. Nothing, always this message.

SO HELP PLEASE

Many thanks in advance

Christian

Allister Banks
    Participant

It is recommended to run instadmg on the same OS you’re trying to build, sorry that time has passed and multiple people are having multiple issues. Please look for me in IRC at ##osx-server on freenode (<-that’s a link to log in without a IRC client installed) or message me @sacrilicious on twitter so I can help you through this. Thanks.

Allister

ramuntcho
    Participant

Hi Allister,

I will try to contact you with twitter…
    I have updated my system to 10.8.2, instaDMG is 458 and i have take installESD.dmg from the official installer of Mountain Lion. The I have tried again, and always the same error. I don’t see what i can try…

Christian

Allister Banks
    Participant

Please make sure your ‘general’ catalog has the installer builds line at the top, just copy it out of 10.8_vanilla.catalog, I experienced this myself. Please copy and paste or use pastie.com  or gist.github.com to share log files and what you’re seeing in the terminal. Thanks, Allister

ramuntcho
    Participant

Great, that was the solution. So with 10.8, we have to put the line about the installer builds not only in 10.8_vanilla.catalog, but also in the general.catalog which refers to 10.8_vanilla.catalog.

Many thanks for your help !

Christian :-))

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed