Home Forums Software InstaDMG Trying to follow tutuorial but getting error on import using importdisk.py

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    macmedic13
    Participant

So I’m following along with the Mac Managers podcast, but I’m getting the following error on execute with 411:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File “./instadmg/AddOns/InstaUp2Date/importDisk.py”, line 200, in
    main()
    File “./instadmg/AddOns/InstaUp2Date/importDisk.py”, line 72, in main
    for thisMountPoint in volumeTools.getMountedVolumes():
    File “/Volumes/bithurleradmin’s iPod/instadmg/AddOns/InstaUp2Date/Resources/volumeTools.py”, line 82, in getMountedVolumes
    thisVolumeInfo = getDiskutilInfo(str(thisVolume))
    File “/Volumes/bithurleradmin’s iPod/instadmg/AddOns/InstaUp2Date/Resources/volumeTools.py”, line 27, in getDiskutilInfo
    result[‘mountPath’] = str(volumeProperties[‘MountPoint’])
    UnicodeEncodeError: ‘ascii’ codec can’t encode character u’\u2019′ in position 23: ordinal not in range(128)

I’m using a 10.6.3 retail install disc as my base OS. Any help would be appreciated.

dead2sin
    Participant

Just for the sake of troubleshooting, try running disk import off of the physical hard drive on the machine and see what happens. I’ve never tried running instadmg from a USB device, so lets reduce the number of variables.

Also, let me confirm the following is true:

1. Do a fresh reboot to make sure the OS Install disc isn’t being used by any other processes.
    2. This is being run on a 10.6.x Client OS Install, preferably 10.6.5 (most recent is best, but it doesn’t matter for disk import, but it will matter for building)
    3. Run instadmg from any location on the machine’s physical drive (I just run it from the admin desktop).

Let me know if any of that helps.

Nate

macmedic13
    Participant

Hey Nate,

Thanks for the help. Seems to be working after a restart and from the desktop. Thanks. If I can make a request for a feature. Can we allow this to happen to external USB drives. Just easier for management in my case. I have a few clients that like to have the images on site on a separate drive. Now that I’m moving to the instaDMG philosophy would love to have it on the external drives @ each location.

dead2sin
    Participant

Spam filter, my mortal enemy!!!

See this:[url] http://pastebin.com/2VrjbyRA%5B/url%5D

Nate

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed