Home Forums AFP548 Community Projects Sympa Mailing List manager

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ElgertS
    Participant

PROJECT DESCRIPTION

This project involves installation on Mac OS X Server 10.2 of the Sympa Mailing List Manager.

Sympa is a mail list manager. Its key advantages over Mailman and other mailing list managers are integration with MySQL, an effective archive search function, and use of x.509 certificates for list security.

The lastest release of Sympa is the first capable of being used on Mac OS X. This was accomplished by removing the requirement of the Local::Msgcat perl module specifically to make Sympa compatible with Mac OS X.

ElgertS
    Participant

Step 1: Berkeley DB

Apple ships Mac OS X Server 10.2 with Berkeley DB installed. Unfortunately, the release is not current and it has serious bugs in it. It is necessary to upgrade to the latest release.

http://www.sleepycat.com/update/snapshot/db-4.1.25.tar.gz

ElgertS
    Participant

Step 2: CPAN modules

Sympa relies on a wide variety of CPAN modules. Some of these will already be installed. Many of those not installed will install easily via CPAN. In my installation, I found several that would not install well under CPAN and had to be installed manually. The following is the order I was able to install the CPAN modules along with the methodology required for each:

NET::LDAP – CPAN standard install
    CGI – updated within CPAN
    Encode – updated within CPAN
    Net::FTP – CPAN standard install
    Net::LDAP – CPAN standard install
    MIME::Tools – CPAN standard install
    Crypt::CipherSaber – CPAN standard install
    FCGI – CPAN standard install
    MIME::Base64 – CPAN standard install
    DBI – CPAN standard install
    LWP – had to force install within CPAN
    DBD::mysql – would not install through CPAN as it tests itself after install using demo user and password against a demo database. This would only work if these settings were valid. Had to download manually and edit the file to have valid authentication and db information. After this change, module installed without a problem.
    IO::Socket::SSL – CPAN standard install
    Net::SSLeay – CPAN standard install
    MHonArc – manually installed
    suidperl – I was not able to install this file as I have not yet located its installer. It is required by the web interface. If anyone has ideas on how to install this module I would be extremely interested.

ElgertS
    Participant

Step 3: Create user and group

Sympa needs to have a user and a group, both of which are suggested to be “sympa”. They prefer the user’s home directory be /home/sympa.

ElgertS
    Participant

Step 4: Install Sympa

The installation is a standard Unix compile operation.

http://www.sympa.org/distribution/sympa-3.4.4.1.tar.gz

The instructions suggest you copy the source to the sympa home drectory as such:

/home/sympa/src

unless Stuffit has taken care of it already:

gzip -dc sympa-3.4.4.1.tar.gz | tar xf –

followed by:

$ ./configure
    $ make
    $ make install

ElgertS
    Participant

Step 5: Create Sympa database in MySQL

Create a database named “sympa” in MySQL. When the Sympa perl script is first launched it will populate this with the appropriate tables.

ElgertS
    Participant

Step 6: Configure startup scripts

The instructions for Sympa suggest altering /etc/rc.local. Mac OS X doesn’t use this so I would imagine a startup item would be most appropriate to launch the following items:

~sympa/bin/sympa.pl
    ~sympa/bin/archived.pl
    ~sympa/bin/bounced.pl
    ~sympa/bin/task_manager.pl

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed