Home Forums OS X Server and Client Discussion Questions and Answers Software Update Server Won’t work

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Waragainstsleep
    Participant

Aha. I see the capitals are important here…..

Many thanks to all.

Smile

com.apple.SoftwareUpdate doesn’t seem to exist by default. If I should need to, how can I set it back to default to use Apple’s SU servers?

maccanada
    Participant

defaults delete com.apple.SoftwareUpdate CatalogURL

~Ian

Waragainstsleep
    Participant

I finally managed to answer one by myself!
    Thanks anyway though.

Anonymous

Just curious: Apple wants you to set up an open directory in order to use software update services.
    I’m experimenting a bit here, following your thread, and a doing a defaults write followed by trashing the plist cache file, brings me to the software update services running on my OS X server – which is a standalone server.

It [i]seems[i] to work. Stopping the update service results in an error on my workstation, so it seems to be using it. Great. But I haven’t actually updated anything yet. Will that work as soon as updates can be downloaded?

If so, why is Apple doing so difficult about it?

Anonymous

It works. Found it in the electronic manual as well. It says something about “non-managed client computers”. Beats me why it is not a simple setting in the client GUI.

It seems like an Apple Scurity bug that this file can be written by any user, allowing for a rogue update server.

In my humble opinion, the Software Update Service still needs a lot to be desired. At first startup, it downloads more than a gigabyte of upgrades, becoming totally unresponsive, even to the Server Admin application, which displays an error message after some time.
    Choosing not to mirror an update should delete the package on the server. The solution Apple gives to delete updates is geeky, and not what you would expect from them.

Probably a transparant proxy setup is more efficient than Software Update Server.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed