Home Forums OS X Server and Client Discussion Mail SMTP relay for LG Rumor

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    drbruhn
    Participant

Hey, all!

I’ve got an Sprint LG Rumor that I’m trying to configure to use with my Mac OS X 10.4 Server’s email via IMAP. I can connect to my IMAP account just fine. However, sending email has become an issue.

Sprint’s smtp server requires smtp auth, which is not possible on the LG Rumor (it tries to pass the same credentials as what it passes to the IMAP server). So I figure… What if I could enable smtp auth on my Mac Server?

The problem I’m having is that it keeps denying the relay, even if I tell my phone to use smtp auth.

Where do I even begin?

drbruhn
    Participant

I’ve made some progress, but still not quite there. Here’s a bizarre behavior…

Using my Mac server’s SMTP server…

Wrote a message on my phone to an address not on my network (say, for example… a Gmail address). Clicked Send, and it comes back with Server not responding. Left that message in the Outbox.

Wrote another message on my phone to an address that IS on my network, clicked Send.

Both messages got delivered and were received with no problem.

Outbox is now empty. Wrote another message to the same gmail account, cc’ing an address on my network. Message goes through just fine and are received on both accounts.

Huh?!

drbruhn
    Participant

Not quite. If I send a message using my Mac server as my smtp server, and the only recipient is outside of my Mac server (say, GMail, for example), the message still gets blocked. It’s only if I cc myself on my server that the message goes through, or if I immediately send a separate message with my account on the server as the recipient does the message go through.

Very bizarre.

sglasgow
    Participant

From what you described the issue appears to be that your ISP is blocking you from running a SMTP server.
    If you are running this out of a home, most likely you connect to your ISP through a residential connection.
    Many ISP’s block residential accounts from running SMTP servers. In fact I have had this same problem. In order to run an SMTP server out of your home you will need to upgrade to a business level connection or try to relay outgoing mail through your ISP’s SMTP server. With a business level connection your ISP will not block you from running a SMTP server.
    The reason that it went through when you sent mail to your own account on your server is that the smtp connection never went through your ISP’s server instead it went directly from your device to the server and then back to your device.
    I hope this helps.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed