Home Forums OS X Server and Client Discussion Misc. SMBIOS UUID and SCCM

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    nzgeek
    Participant

I am using SCCM to image our labs (around 400 iMacs and a few PCs). For a while I have had issues with task sequences not being found. I figured it was an issue with identifying the computer somehow but I recently realised it was because SCCM identifies the computer by it’s SMBIOS UUID. Around 80% of our lab computers have one of two “Unique” identifiers.

I have found a lot of people who have had similar issues (for example http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=534341 ) but so far no solutions.

I have found a few suggestions that I hack the SCCM database, changing some query structures and a few suggestions that I should regularly reset the UUIDs in the database so that the MAC is used instead. These aren’t really solutions, just workarounds. I don’t think either workaround would be supported by Microsoft and niether is a solution to the actual problem, regardless of if the problem is seem as being Microsoft using this variable or Apple not setting it properly.

Does anyone know a way I can actually fix this so our iMacs can be imaged and managed? Any help would be much appreciated!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed