Home Forums OS X Server and Client Discussion DNS Site to Site VPN setup

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Mattak
    Participant

Hi all,

I’m trying to set up two snow leopard servers in two different locations joined together with a LAN to LAN VPN setup between two Draytek Vigor routers. The idea is that one is the main server where most of the users are located and the other one in the remote location can be used as a domain replica and secondary dns zone so if the main server ever goes down it can be used in an emergency. It will also be used as a second mail server.

I’m having problems finding out exactly how to set them up. There doesn’t seem to be any help that i can find out on the web.

Primary server: 10.0.2.1 dns: server.something.com
    Secondary server: 10.0.0.1 dns: backup.something.com

The primary server is setup and working correctly and it is setup with something.com. as the primary zone with machine record for server.something.com at 10.0.2.1 and a machine record for backup.something.com at 10.0.0.1. There is also an alias for http://www.something.com which points to backup.immodulon.com as the website is hosted from the remote server. I’m not sure if this is correct but seems to work so far.
    This creates two Reverse Zones 0.0.10.in-addr.arpa. and 2.0.10.in-addr.arpa. and the reverse mappings point to the right names (i.e. backup.something.com and server.immodulon.com)

I got the secondary server ready for setup and updated to 10.6.7. I get to the network setup part and I manually set the IP to 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0 router is 10.0.0.250 and DNS server at 10.0.2.1. As I click continue the assistant claims that no DNS name was found for the computer and does not resolve backup.something.com.

If I do a host 10.0.0.1 from the primary server it resolves to backup.something.com without a problem. However, if I do it from a mac on the remote network (10.0.0.2) it returns

Host 1.0.0.10.in-addr.arpa. not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

but if I dig backup.something.com it returns 10.0.0.1 and shows the name server and its IP address. So it seems that forward DNS works fine but the reverse doeesn’t.

I want to get the assistant to setup as much as possible but don’t mind doing it manually if I can work out how.

Shall I just go through the assistant and remove the default DNS setup and simply set it up as a secondary zone?

Please help!

Thanks

Matt

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed