Home Forums OS X Server and Client Discussion DNS setting up os x server as a proxy server

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    pheidius
    Participant

Does anyone have a good link to a tutorial on how to set up OS X server 10.4.* as a proxy server as well as a file share server for a small lan?. I want to be able to restrict my users(students) to only about 4 or 5 sites and block the rest by default. I will also be the router for this lan giving them fixed ip’s. If this post belongs in a different forum please let me know.

khiltd
    Participant

What kind of proxy? HTTP?

pheidius
    Participant

I assume so. My OS X server 10.4*(ppc tower not xserve) sits behind a router which which gives my EN 1 nic a dhcp assigned address. This provides me with unfettered internet access other than a weak net nanny whitelist /blacklist proxy nanny. I want to use my second nic to totally control access to the internet for my students in a school classroom. The rest of the school is on a PC SBS domain. The internal school security is so weak that the kids can go anywhere they want by using external proxy servers and even get into the intranet /teacher’s folders etc. I want no part of that. They have absolutely no self control which means the school’s lab are worthless for any productive school work. So my ideal is to be able to have my server be the router and give them all a permanent ip address so I can use ARD. I also do not want the wrath of the PC cretin admins coming down on me by putting out any false dhcp calls. Now, there are about 5 external server based educational software packages that we lease rights to and those are the only places I want them to be able to go. So my idea of having my server be the proxy, I hope, will prevent them from going anywhere else no matter what they type in. I do not think that any of them would be knowledgeable enough to install tunneling software/or take advantage of built-in OS X server VPN capabilities though I will be controlling USB/firewire hardware access. So maybe the first real question, before I look for a tutorial is, “am I right?” If I set my server up as my lans primary proxy server on en1, can I set only the sites that are allowed and have all others blocked by default. Those are my needs. I would definitely not want them to have ftp backdoors though as well. So if one can accomplish these things the best with an http proxy server then yes I want http. If not ,then please advise.
    Thanks

khiltd
    Participant

Then you want to be a gateway, not a proxy.

pheidius
    Participant

K sounds good. Do you know a good tutorial in setting it up as the gateway. I may be confusing things but I have thought until now that a gateway was the same thing as the router. ty for helping me work through this.

khiltd
    Participant

This would typically be done on the router, yes, but there is a Gateway Setup Assistant if you really want to do it on an OS X Server box. Plenty of documentation on Apple’s site.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed