Home Forums OS X Server and Client Discussion File Serving Quota settings over more than one sharepoint

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    danomatic
    Participant

Since merging the fysical entity of two sharepoints together we have run into a quotas issue we didn’t consider yet.

Previously we had the Xserve boot from a mirror of two 80 GB’s disks, and have the OpenDir homefolders on this disk as well (setup serve’s about 10 concurrently logged in users). Seperately a firewire 800 disk was attached hosting a sharepoint setup for project information for the group ‘editors’. This was about 300 GB’s of data. Other involved data in this setup is an Xsan volume for the host of the media files, but project files and photoshop etc. docs are still on the ‘Editors’ share.

Last week we replaced the 2 * 80 GB mirror with 2 * 1 TB mirror, and after some cloning etc. this was all up and running as it was before. We also moved the ‘Editors’ share from the external disk over to this internal mirror, and setup a seperate sharepoint for it.

Problem now is that the users homedir quotes (usually around 2 / 4 / 8 Gb, depending on their priority etc.) get completely filled up because there’s a lot of data on the other sharepoint (residing on the same volume) of which some of the people from the Editors share are the owners.
    For what I can find out about this, this is perfectly normal behaviour, quotas get calculated and book-keeped on a Volume level, not per sharepoint. For now I’ve disabled quotas (500 GB freespace gives me some time to breathe), but I do want quotas on their homedirs, because they do also work with freelance video editors.

Possible solutions I’m looking at:
    – there a CLI tool called edquota, but man page gives sparse information, and no usage examples. I can go and google and try on another server with this, but it’s not visible ‘on the surface’ where other possible people involved with this server would see it.
    – I can have an existing user or new one with a big quota (say 400 GB ), and have a nightly launchd script chmod-ing the contents over to that guy. This way I can also put a sort of limit to the growth of the ‘Editors’ share, staying out of the way of the VM and the log files and the OS.

Any other visions on this?? Any best practices? Something I’m so far completely ignorant about??

Any input welcome.

(and sorry about possible english spelling dramatics, somehow my safari spellcheck jumped to dutch.., will set that staight when I have time to breathe again).

rstasel
    Participant

Hi,

We too have this problem, and the only solution we can think of is your second option… a “cron” job that chowns everything at regular intervals.

Other input is welcome, but I’m at a loss… I specifically haven’t implemented quotas on our system because of this issue.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed