Home Forums OS X Server and Client Discussion Questions and Answers Quick Question about SL Server

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    IINDIE
    Participant

Yes i know i should upgrade but i am holding back for compatibility reasons ,

One question though that has been a bit on my mind is about the capability of mac os X server SL to support multiple gateways , i have been having headaches regarding this particular issue , let me explain.

I have 2 interface leading to the outside world one of the a very fast interface coming from a relatively reliable provider and a slow interface coming from a sluggish but very available provider. My users connect to the local DHCP server hosted on my mac os X server Snow leopard machine and i would like to serve them on network with whatever would be available reliably. Is there a way to designate multiple gateways through nat to serve the DHCP how could this be relatively configurable ?

Thanking you for your time and attention and waiting to read from you soon ,

Best Regards,
    Bertrand STERN

PS: There aslo seems to be an article about the subject on this site under story number 20090830224048913 but unfortunately it is no longer available.

Demani
    Participant

Your better bet would be to just use a load balancing router/firewall-it would handle the routing automatically. I know it is possible to be done, but a simple device dedicated to the task will be much more reliable in the long run ($200 and 30 min of configuration should do it). And given the changes to DHCP in later OSes, you might as well start thinking about separating DHCP from the server unless you have a very strong need for it. A Sonicwall TZ100 or a Netgear FVS336G would both handle that easily (neither is an endorsement, simply naming two devices that do what you want).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed