Home Forums OS X Server and Client Discussion Updates Primary / Alternate Software Update Catalog

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jeffbearer
    Participant

I’m trying to figure out if it’s possible to set up a primary catalog and then have it fail back to apple as a default if the primary is not able to be connected to.

I hesitate to change the CatalogURL to our server in the office if it means that they will not be able to run updates if they are at home.

I saw a great hack macos hints on hosting swupdate.apple.com dns internally, and faking out the default setting. but unfortunately this is no good for me because I don’t want road warriors to resolve that dns internally when they are on the vpn.

Greg Neagle
    Participant

Short answer: no.

Long answer: you could use something like crankd to be notified when your network configuration changes, and then a script could set the CatalogURL as appropriate.

jeffbearer
    Participant

That was my fear. And changing it on network config sounds like too many moving parts.

I guess I’ll consider using DNS views based on subnet to do the dns trickery if pretending to be apple, but not for VPN users.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed