Home Forums OS X Server and Client Discussion Updates Moving the swupd directory

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    danomatic
    Participant

Hi guys and galls,

new to this forum, so hi to you all! Mostly hanging out at [url=http://www.xsanity.com/]xsanity[/url] , since I’m mostly working in video stuff and storage.
    I’m currently also running a local clone of the software update server in our own company for all the installations that we do [working at an Apple Video/Audio VAR]. The problem I’m currently running into with our sofware update server is a bit of a lame one though. The server is an old blue G4 with a tiny little system disk in it (10 GB), so all the local copies of the Software Update server are eating up the system disk. There is also a fw800 disk attached for installers and stuff.
    What I was wondering wether someone has succesfully moved the /usr/share/swupd/ directory to another volume, and then made a symlink in the original spot. Is this a known tric to do, or am I in unknown grounds here. Are there any known reasons to not do this…?

Cheers, Daan.

-mcg-
    Participant

Taking this concept one step further…

How would one go about moving the software updates from from an Internet accessible server running Apple’s SUS to a [i]non[/i]-Internet accessible server in an attempt to host a mirror of the Apple SUS updates. Think unclassified to classified networks here.

Is it as simple as copying the /usr/share/swupd/ directory over, or is there more to it, i.e. copying receipts, etc.?

I posted this once before ([url]https://www.afp548.com/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=18&showtopic=14512[/url]), but had to responses, so I figured I’d try again since I hadn’t gotten around to experimenting with it myself yet.

Any inputs would be appreciated…thanks

-mcg-

danomatic
    Participant

Ok, thanks for the replies. So I’ve moved the /usr/share/swupd/ completely with all three sub-dir’s over to another volume (and made it a hidden dir), and then symlinked to it. So far so good, up and running for two days now, no complaints, succesfull updating clients, succesful syncing with Apple’s SU servers. Make sure to pause the service though during the process off moving the dir and symlinking to it…

About the complete isolated clone in a private network, I don’t know…

factor
    Participant

[QUOTE][u]Quote by: -mcg-[/u][p]Taking this concept one step further…

How would one go about moving the software updates from from an Internet accessible server running Apple’s SUS to a [i]non[/i]-Internet accessible server in an attempt to host a mirror of the Apple SUS updates. Think unclassified to classified networks here.
    -mcg-[/p][/QUOTE]

As you don’t actually want the synching thingo to be working on your internal network, just a copy of the files which get served up to a client ? —

SoftwareUpdateServer, as seen by the client is just a webserver. A webserver that includes a file index.sucatalog which references from where the client should download all the other bits. You will need to parse/sed the index.sucatalog file to manipulate the download locations to point to the locations on your internal server.

All you need to copy across is the index.sucatalog file and the “downloads” directory (which lives next to the index.sucatalog file).

After you have that stuff, throw it up on any internal webserver. Make sure the index.sucatalog is pointing back to the internal webserver (open it, read it, just XML). Then point your clients to use this index.sucatalog for their software updates (/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist)

Of course if you were really doing this on a “secure” network you would want to check the signatures of all the files after you had brought them onto the secure network but before you published them.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed