Home Forums OS X Server and Client Discussion Misc. Mini server loses networking

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    caseystone
    Participant

Hello:

We’re running 10.7.4 Server on a 2007 mac mini, mostly just being an iCal and Address Book server. It is behind another router with a private LAN IP address (with ports forwarded from the router for external access). Lately it has stopped working intermittently, now almost all the time down. What happens is that the machine loses network connectivity — you can’t ping it on the LAN and you can’t even surf (using Safari for example) on the machine itself. It’s like the network stack just folds up and dies.

I thought must be a hardware problem, so we cloned the boot drive over to another machine but the same thing is happening.

The machine is set with a static IP address. What could it be???

Thanks.

caseystone
    Participant

Ok… I think the problem was that our main network switch was going bad! Perhaps $400-$500 is not enough to spend on a 48 port gigabit switch (Netgear). The fan warning light had been on for a while, neglected, so I think it overheated and that was the problem here. Strangely other networking was not affected as noticeably as the mac mini server.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed