Home Forums OS X Server and Client Discussion Questions and Answers Migration problems with XServer

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Participant

I purchased the XServer about 2 months ago. I’ve yet to resolve the migration nightmares that I am having. I’m wondering if there are other’s out there having the same problems as me. Below is my story. PLEASE let me know if anyone has managed to migrate from a 9.x server to the XServer running either version of the OS (10.1.5 or 10.2)

• System can preinstalled with 10.1.5
      The migration was smooth with no errors. EXCEPT, clients running Macintosh Manager were corrupting the database. I would get about 10 mins of up time till clients would get the (-50) error that database is corrupt. I would open Macintosh Manager from a client, System would find the errors and attempt to correct them. When it was finished, it would report NO ERRORS FOUND! This would allow Mac Manager clients to connect again, BUT for only 10 mins or so.

APPLE SOLUTION (1): Upgrade to 10.2
    After having a very hard time getting this from apple I decided to do a clean install of 10.2. Install was error free. I updated the OS as Apple advised. I then was ready for the migration again. I followed the guide one again, this time nothing happen. I did not get the prompt to allow for the migration. Called Apple support and found that they had changed the migration manual for 10.2. I downloaded the new manual from the knowledge base and preformed the tasks required. After the migration was finished I ended up with everything BUT MY USERS.

APPLE SOLUTION (2): re-install 10.1.5, then Migrate, then upgrade to 10.2
    I preformed a clean install of 10.1.5 on my system. Install was error free. Updated the OS from the web. Ran the migration from the orginal manual. Everything worked correctly. I then inserted the 10.2 CD to start the upgrade. I double clicked the install, they system prompted me that it wanted to reboot. System rebooted and started installing the 10.2 OS. After it was finished installing it rebooted. The assistant came up to help with the configuration. When I got to the security section it was greyed out. What was in the setting was one of my students. The system was recognized a user as an Administrator. System would no allow me to alter any of these settings. Called Apple Support

APPLE SOLUTION (3): HOLD POWER BUTTON TILL IT TURNS OFF, then boot single user mode.
    Once in single user mode, I was asked to create a file an empty file. This file was going to BS my system into thinking it was finished with configurations. I rebooted the system, at the login window I could no longer login as root. The system had some how corrupted it’s password. I could not reset it’s password nor alter the user. I also had server apps the were not installed correctly and also had apps from 10.1.5 still on there.

APPLE SOLUTION (4): Re-install clean 10.1.5 and export users. Then do a clean install of 10.2 and import users.
    I did a clean install of 10.1.5 and updated OS from the web. Migrated the users, then exported to a client. I then did a clean install of 10.2 and updated it’s OS via the web. Imported my user from the export file. I imported using the record description in the file. When the import was finished I ended up with the user’s long names being truncated. I called Apple support for a solution.

APPLE SOLUTION (5): They emailed me the link to your web site!

Please let me know if anyone else out there is having the same trouble. I feel like I’m running solo out here. I just can’t imagine that Apple would release a product that couldn’t be upgraded to. Not to mention the 10.1.5 can’t be upgraded to 10.2

Dann Grant
    Director of Technology
    Keystone School
    [email protected]

danngrant
    Participant

Joel,

I actually need the information from the Mac MGR 1.x database. I need to have the users, workgroups, security settings, and machine names. I have just under 600 users. and around 100 or so client machines. There is more info that I would like, but those are the needed things.

Have you come across this issue before?

danngrant
    Participant

Joel,

Thanks for the reply and looking into this for me and others out there. Could you also look into the OS update from 10.1.5 to 10.2? I was also unable to update my OS from 10.1.5 to 10.2. I called Apple support about it and they responded that there isn’t one and it can’t be done. He told me that he was also unable to upgrade from 10.1.x to 10.2.

Thanks for lending a hand with this. Don’t want to see others go through what I am.

Thanks,
    Dann Grant

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed