Home Forums OS X Server and Client Discussion DNS Mac OS X OD Master registers ALL interfaces with DNS

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    NYCNoodle
    Participant

Hello,

I’m having a problem where my Mac OS X OD master is registering all of its interfaces with my Windows AD DNS. This is bad, because one interface is on a private metadata (XSAN) network, and is not accessible from the production network. Therefore I have clients trying to talk to my OD master on an interface that’s not available.

Does anyone know how to stop my OD master from registering the private interface to the Windows AD DNS?

Thanks,

-Josh

aristobrat
    Participant
    samwo
    Participant

i am experiencing the same issue. I followed the above link however it has not helped rectify the issue. I believe this is because the above link is refering directly to the Samba service.

Our OD Master is using Link Aggregation – therefore it has the Bonded Link Aggregate address, and two physical Ethernet interfaces.

It is bound into our Windows 2003 Active Directory server, and is therefore using Dynamic DNS through the Directory Service plugin.

All 3 IP addresses are registering in our Windows DNS under the same hostname, whereas we just want the Bonded address associated with the servers hostname.

Has anyone got any ideas to resolving this issues?

Thanks in advance,

Sam

Stephen Buckley
    Participant

I have felt your pain, running XSAN, with OD/AD golden triangle and 10.5 was a fraught experience. Apple’s KBase article HT3169 note is actually invalid for 10.5 Samba, 10.6 Samba fixes this and the tech note works as expected.

There’s a very good explanation of this here:

http://www.briandwells.com/main/Blog/Entries/2009/12/11_DDNS_Registration_for_Mac_OS_X_Server_v10.5.html

You can see my ranting and a very helpful response here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9529225

There are a couple of solutions, the first, on the briandwells blog, is the most through and involves building a new version of the net command from the that behaves as expected in the apple kbase article. The second, is to create a script to replace the net command which drops DNS registration requests and passes everything else to the original (renamed) net command.

I haven’t tried the former but it sounds like it would work, and I can verify that the hack of replacing the net command works.

[b]However[/b]… there is a major caveat to both solutions, and that is that apple updates (particularly security updates) can and will overwrite the net command, frequently restarting your server immediately afterward, upon boot the standard 10.5 net command will auto register all IPs with the AD DNS and you will have to go in and remove them from the AD management console. Still if you are aware of this and can plan around this happening it’s a manageable solution.

Here’s hoping apple roll the 10.6 build of Samba back into 10.5, or at least acknowledge this issue on the Kbase page.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed