Home Forums OS X Server and Client Discussion Misc. Login order of operations change form panther to tiger breaks my custom setup

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Aaron
    Participant

Does anybody know how to make MCX settings apply before login hooks in tiger like panther used to be? Or can anyone tell me how to pass the username and password from the login window to a shell script so that I could mount volumes with the logged in users credentials. I wondered if anyone new about the changes in tiger that seem to run the login hook before applying MCX settings and how to change it. In panther I used mobile accounts and login scripts that redirected the desktop, documents, pictures and bookmarks to the network through an AFP mount that was applied from MCX. In tiger those volumes don’t get mounted before the login scripts run. Another solution would be to mount the volume in the script, but I must be able to pass the username and password dynamically to the mount command from where I don’t know.

Aaron
    Participant

Could you share some of the reasons why you wouldn’t do that? My issue is that my setup works great for panther, I made a volatile user setup that is much faster than network homes, but I use custom attributes from Novell’s EDir and some scripts, they all count on my the users home folder and group folder being mounted by MCX with the user’s credentials. I never planned on running Tiger for years, but then we got some new laptops and G5s that won’t take panther. This totally caught me off guard; I don’t have the time.

amills17
    Participant

Is there a PID I could wait for in my login script that would tell my script when MCX finshing processing and I could script aginst volumes mounted by MCX? I think my only other option is a login item apple script login scrip that can redirect the folders I want to the network. This is not my idea of a good setup the user can interfere with the login item, but i’m stuck. My oher options involve schema changes, changing every user object and a whole bunch of crap I don’t want to think of.

amills17
    Participant

I figured out my problem with the help of a gentlemen from Bombich’s forum. I needed to call my folder redirection script from the login script with a
    sudo -H -u $1 launchctl load -w /Library/Management/com.domain.link.plist which uses lanuchd to run my script which has the benefits over loginhooks and login items two ways that benefited me. The main reason is the loginhook was too early, the home diretcory and its compoents haven’t been melded together enough at this point for me to redirect folders to the network, while login items run after the finder loads which is not good either. Launchd runs at the perfect time and will run again up to 9 times if it fails execute the script successfully.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed