Home Forums OS X Server and Client Discussion Xsan Load balancing AFP Servers

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  mosen 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

akisuan
    Participant

We have three AFP servers that hook into an Xserve RAID based XSAN using DNS Round Robin to split the load.

Is this a terrible idea? 🙂

Also, the metadata controller doesn’t reboot if you run shutdown -r now, you need to kill a kext for the restart to go through, is this bizarre or common.

(Love the site by the way, wish I had found it before!)

akisuan
    Participant

Cheers for the tip, but I was under the impression that the metadata controller handle file locking?

DrKdev
    Participant

Many years later, I know,.. but did your experience ever show your idea to have been bad?

We have an AFP server on Server1 and another on Server2 (a compute server) hooked into a RAID based XSAN for the users directory. I’ve got server1 allowing automounting so that mobile accounts (portable home directories) work on the client machines.

Everything is hunky-dory EXCEPT when a user tries to log into Server2. At that point, Server2 tries to mount the already-mounted /Volumes/team1/users folder (it’s already mounted on /Volumes/team1 go figure). This doesn’t cause user1 any problem… because he owns the mount-point. But all other users logged into the compute server lose their access to their files (the mount point is owned by user1 until he logs out).

Did you run into this?
    What did you do?

A more succinct description of the problem is here:
    https://www.afp548.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=26009

mosen
    Participant

[QUOTE][u]Quote by: akisuan[/u][p]Cheers for the tip, but I was under the impression that the metadata controller handle file locking?[/p][/QUOTE]

I’ve heard that Xsan handles file locking between clients (servers in this case). But AFP doesn’t deal with that… if that makes sense 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed