Home Forums AFP548 Community Open Mike Keeping a DSL connection alive

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    legwind
    Participant

Anyone have any ideas on how I can make OS X 10.2.3 Server keep my DSL connection alive?
    I have the DSL modem connected to my built-in ethernet card, and under System Preferences->Network, I am using PPPoE, with the appropriate details entered.
    Under PPPoE options, I have ticked the box which says ‘Connect automatically when needed’, but it doesn’t seem to do what I want. I need to have the server keep the connection alive, even when the server isn’t logged on.

Admin
    Participant

[quote:3b414a35e2=”legwind”]Anyone have any ideas on how I can make OS X 10.2.3 Server keep my DSL connection alive?
    I have the DSL modem connected to my built-in ethernet card, and under System Preferences->Network, I am using PPPoE, with the appropriate details entered.
    Under PPPoE options, I have ticked the box which says ‘Connect automatically when needed’, but it doesn’t seem to do what I want. I need to have the server keep the connection alive, even when the server isn’t logged on.[/quote:3b414a35e2]

I’d recommend switching to always-on DSL first. It’s less hassle. Failing that, make sure you don’t have any timeouts set in your Network Preference and in Internet Connect. Also, you could set up a cron job to ping some known good server every few minutes, though that’s really a poor use of network resources.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed