Home Forums Software InstaDMG InstaDMG on 10.8.2, BaseImageCache and Recovery HD

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    kai
    Participant

I’m using InstaDMG (latest version – r455) on a system I have recently upgraded from 10.8.0 to 10.8.2 (12C60) and I’m using a freshly downloaded InstallESD.dmg which is 10.8.2 12C54

What is happening is that the base image is getting built with the OS inside the disk image on Macintosh HD, but it’s also adding in the Recovery HD partition to the dmg.

Then, later on in the process when InstaDMG goes to mount the dmg, what’s happening is that it’s passing the flag for -mountpoint to hdiutil, but what hdiutil is doing is mounting the LAST mountable partition inside the dmg and ignoring the others, so it’s ignoring Macintosh HD and mounting Recovery HD instead. This then means that none of the other software can be installed by InstaDMG into the disk image as it’s not a proper system that’s mounted.

I don’t have the skills to fix this myself, from what I can see though you need to pass the -mountroot command to hdiutil instead of -mountpoint and this will mount all of the partitions inside the disk image, however they’ll be mounted in subfolders inside the mountpoint given (eg /tmp/whatever/Macintosh HD and /tmp/whatever/Recovery HD) instead of having the root of the filesystem mounted on the mountpoint given.

I’ve scanned the manpages for hdiutil and I can’t see an easy way to mount just one filesystem inside a dmg.

I’m running my build with InstaUp2Date, but the problem persists even when I run instadmg.bash or perform the steps manually.

kai
    Participant

OK, now I don’t know what’s going on (it’s late on a Friday, that’s mu excuse)
    I had a hack and slash on the bash script (or thought I did) and re-ran it, and now it’s working as expected. As it turns out however, I was working on a copy of the script, not the main one. So, now it’s running properly.

I can’t explain what’s happening, why it didn’t work and now why it is working – but it’d be good for someone with better bash-fu than me to look at the script and make sure it’s properly dealing with two mountable partitions in the base image…

Allister Banks
    Participant

kai,

You’re absolutely correct, and I’ve integrated the changes you suggested after coming to the same conclusion. Look for an updated SVN soon. Thanks, Allister

kai
    Participant

Phew, glad to see I wasn’t imagining things – it was a long day… Keen to get the updated svn version, thank you very much for getting on the case so quickly.

Cheers,
    Kai

Allister Banks
    Participant

InstaDMG-20121005-r459.zip

I was able to test everything successfully on 10.6 and 8 with caches, and bumped the catalogs with the recent Apple Remote Desktop/supplemental updates, testing and reports would be greatly appreciated.

Allister

@sacrilicious

kai
    Participant

Thanks again for the update – seems to work well here now I’ve had a chance to test it.
    It runs and correctly identifies that there’s a recovery partition present and then goes on it’s way and installs things properly again.

salediablo
    Participant

General on the witch doctor magic equipment to complete the restoration, we Manzi back anger coupled with explosive runes Collect 5 sets immortal + passive outside, there is a more feasible method is to rely on the battle rage. However, when the trigger point is crit recovery 15 rage Diablo 3 News

ramuntcho
    Participant

Hello,

I’ve tried for about 5 hours to make an image of 10.8.2, no chance. It was working last month so i don’t understand the problem. The only change (i think) is that i have mage an update of instaDMG to r462. I have in fact 2 problems :
    – i have to reboot each time i want to create an image, if i want that the installer disk be found
    – more problematic, if the installer disk is found, there is no image in OutputFiles folder : in terminal we see that pkg are installed, the image created, but all this in a few seconds !!! I have tried just to install with 10.8.vanilla.catalog, without any pkgs, but same problem.

I really don’t know what to do

So please, any help would be grantly appreciated !!!

Thanks

Christian

See log :

RefInstaDmg:InstaUp2Date ramac$ sudo ./instaUp2Date.py -p 10.8_vanilla
    Password:

Parsing the catalog files for 10.8_vanilla

Finding and validating the sources for 10.8_vanilla

Finding the Installer disc for 10.8_vanilla
    Found Installer Disc: /Users/ramac/instadmg/InstallerFiles/BaseOS/InstallESD.dmg

Setting up for 10.8_vanilla
    Setting up InstaDMG folders

Running InstaDMG: /Users/ramac/instadmg/instadmg.bash -f -I /Users/ramac/instadmg/InstallerFiles/BaseOS/InstallESD.dmg -n Disque dur -m 10.8.2 Sem_13 novembre.dmg -K /private/tmp/idmg_temp.6jLK88/items-GsYNC0 -o /Users/ramac/instadmg/OutputFiles

16:06:56 ###### InstaDMG build initiated ######
    InstaDMG version 1.6rc1 (svn revision: 459)
    Host OS: Mac OS X 10.8.2
    Host Hardware: iMac12,1
    Output file name: 10.8.2 Sem_13 novembre.dmg
    Output disk name: Disque dur
    16:06:57 ###### Finding main MacOS X installer disk ######
    16:06:57 ###### Looking for a Cached Image ######
    Mounting the shadow file (/private/tmp/idmg.algA/5EC9F995-6826-4C4E-B6F9-1E10D97FF609.shadowfile) onto the cached image (./Caches/BaseImageCache/843509E4.dmg)
    Recovery Partition Found
    2012-11-13 16:07:01.793 defaults[447:707]
    The domain/default pair of (/private/tmp/idmg.algA/idmg_mp.MzF4/Macintosh HD/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion, ProductVersion) does not exist
    2012-11-13 16:07:01.802 defaults[449:707]
    The domain/default pair of (/private/tmp/idmg.algA/idmg_mp.MzF4/Macintosh HD/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion, ProductVersion) does not exist
    2012-11-13 16:07:01.812 defaults[451:707]
    The domain/default pair of (/private/tmp/idmg.algA/idmg_mp.MzF4/Macintosh HD/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion, ProductBuildVersion) does not exist
    2012-11-13 16:07:01.821 defaults[452:707]
    The domain/default pair of (/private/tmp/idmg.algA/idmg_mp.MzF4/Macintosh HD/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion, ProductName) does not exist
    /Users/ramac/instadmg/instadmg.bash: line 674: [: 8: unary operator expected
    Target OS: ()
    WARNING: Chroot jails only work with 10.5, so disabling that functionality
    WARNING: Installer daemon-jailing does not currently work with 10.7, disabling that functionality as well
    16:07:01 ###### Beginning Update Installs from /private/tmp/idmg_temp.6jLK88/items-GsYNC0 ######
    16:07:01 ###### Correcting some generic installer errors ######
    Correcting symlinks that point off the disk
    Closing programs that have opened files on the disk
    Deleting Extensions.mkext cache file
    Deleting cache files created during installations
    16:07:03 ###### Creating the deployment DMG and scanning for ASR ######
    Rename the deployment volume: Disque dur
    Could not find disk for /private/tmp/idmg.algA/idmg_mp.MzF4/Macintosh HD
    Create a read-only image
    cp: /private/tmp/idmg.algA/idmg_mp.MzF4/Macintosh HD/private/var/log/InstaDMG_package.log: No such file or directory
    The image did not eject cleanly, so I will force it
    ###### Failed to unmount the Target image image from /private/tmp/idmg.algA/idmg_mp.MzF4/Macintosh HD, unable to continue ######
    hdiutil: convert failed – Le fichier existe
    Scanning image for ASR: /Users/ramac/instadmg/OutputFiles/10.8.2 Sem_13 novembre.dmg
    ASR image scan complete
    16:07:03 ###### InstaDMG Complete ######
    16:07:03 ###### Cleaning up ######
    Ejecting images
    Deleting scratch DMG

ramuntcho
    Participant

If i look inside /private/tmp/idmg.5Vz1/idmg_mp.9xpg, there is 3 images : Disque dur Macintosh HD Recovery HD

Normal ?

ramuntcho
    Participant

So the problem of Macintosh HD remains, even with the last svn update (462).

:-((

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed