Home Forums Software InstaDMG InstaDMG installing Growl opens Boot Machine’s System Prefs

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    knowmad
    Participant

Ok, this is weird.
    I threw Growl into the build stream, and it appears to install fine. Today i was watching it out of the corner of my eye and when InstaDMG reported it was installing Growl, my system prefs opened. This explains why every time I leave it to build overnight, I find my sys-prefs open the next morning. It does not seem to effect the build process or the install of growl. Its just really odd.
    No errors reported, nothing else out of the ordinary…. just weird.

Any ideas what is happening? Anyone else see this happen?
    I also install safari growler, if that gives any clues.

knowmad

larkost
    Participant

There is a postflight buried in the growl installer (I just dug it out) whose main purpose is to open the prefpane. You are seeing that in action. This would probably be worth to mention to the growl people that they should try and detect then the installation volume is not the same as the boot volume. This would actually be rather simple:

[code]
    if [ “$3” == “/” ]; then
    do your stuff
    fi
    [/code]

I am going to post it to their google group right now.

knowmad
    Participant

Thank you.
    knowmad

jasonpgignac
    Participant

In the meantime, it probably shouldn’t be too hard to hack out their post-install script?

knowmad
    Participant

or, considering it really is harmless, ignoring it.

kai
    Participant

Just in case anyone is struggling with this still – Growl is now a flat package, so not as straightforward to edit. Here’s how to expand it, edit it and put it all back together again:

Download the Growl package and then in the Terminal:

[code]pkgutil –expand Growl.pkg Growl[/code]

Next, edit Growl/growl.pkg/Scripts/postflight and change it to the following (add the first and last lines)

[b]if [ “$3” = “/” ]; then[/b]
    # Open GHA first so that, hopefully, Growl will already be running when the user lands in the prefpane.
    “${PACKAGE_RESOURCES_DIR}/OpenAppWithoutAddingToRecents” “${INSTALL_DESTINATION_DIR}/Growl.prefPane/Contents/Resources/GrowlHelperApp.app”
    “${PACKAGE_RESOURCES_DIR}/OpenGrowlPrefPane”
    [b]fi[/b]

Finally, put it all back together again

[code]pkgutil –flatten Growl Growl121.pkg[/code]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed