Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    pedz
    Participant

I see various messages about this topic but I do not see it resolved anywhere. I have found in the other messages that I need to run

reconstruct -r user/pedz

as cyrusimap (I have unixhierarchysep set — I did not set it that I know of). I’ve tried that several times and it does no seem to help.

The Mail client interface, when these errors occurs stalls. It is very frustrating to use. I’ve also tried deleting various mail boxes from the client that are on the server and the problem never seems to go away. I’ve also tried “Synchronize” from the Mail client.

I am running 10.4.4 Server on a Quad G5.

Here are samples of the two errors (with some context):

Feb 1 10:21:41 EaseServer imap[343]: login: easeserver.easesoftware.net [64.192.143.210] pedz GSSAPI User logged in
    Feb 1 10:21:41 EaseServer imap[343]: quota set to “unlimited” for mailbox user.pedz
    Feb 1 10:22:46 EaseServer imap[343]: IOERROR: reading message: unexpected end of file
    Feb 1 10:22:47 EaseServer imap[343]: accepted connection
    Feb 1 10:22:47 EaseServer imap[343]: AOD: user opts: no-lookup for: pedz

and

Feb 1 10:05:11 EaseServer imap[557]: seen_db: user pedz opened /var/imap/user/p/pedz.seen
    Feb 1 10:05:11 EaseServer imap[557]: open: user pedz opened Deleted Messages
    Feb 1 10:05:11 EaseServer imap[557]: SQUAT failed to open index file
    Feb 1 10:05:11 EaseServer imap[557]: SQUAT failed
    Feb 1 10:05:25 EaseServer imap[557]: open: user pedz opened Deleted Messages
    Feb 1 10:05:46 EaseServer imap[557]: open: user pedz opened Sent Messages

Thank you

stevek
    Participant

take a look at osx.topicdesk.com the mailbfr script is a life saver.
    This has fixed more of my mail problems than I want to admit.

pedz
    Participant

Anyone looking for a fix to this, please look here

cedge
    Participant

That reconstruct command can be found at:
    /usr/bin/cyrus/bin/reconstruct
    From the /usr/bin/cyrus/bin you can do a “reconstruct -r username” and it usually fixes this for me.

pedz
    Participant

I have tracked down my problems to a call to sasl_decode in prot_fill (in imapd).

To recap: I am getting IOERROR: unexpected end of file in my imapd log file. The client interface is also slow and sometimes crashes.

It turns out that if the client has Kerberos GSSAI authentication and the client tries to do an “APPEND” command (which is what the imap protocol uses to add a message to an existing mailbox), the APPEND frequently fails (but not always). The rest of my Kerberos stuff appears to be fine.

The APPEND is sent across to the server. The client can be set up to do LITERAL+ or not. The client sends all of the message in either case. The server reads all of the packets. Usually the first packets go through the sasl_decode and result in valid text. But after the first block (4096) or so of data, the remaining data is lost and sasl_decode reports back that there is only two valid characters. No errors are reported back (that I am aware of).

I ended my quest at this point last night and I probably will not pick it up again. For now, I can work around the problem by switching to plain authentication and just set up a VPN before using mail.

I hope this helps whoever follows in my footsteps…

Perry

swisscheese
    Participant

Found this thread after upgrading my XServe from 10.3.9 to 10.4.8. The clients, which have been log in with Kerberos V5 GSSAPI so far, had problems sending mails. The mails have been sent though, however: the message could not be copied to the “Sent Messages”. So workaround for me was to set authentification to password on the client’s mail.app. Fortunately I have only a few clients to manage. Don’t know how it would be done if managing hundreds of users… 🙄

So thanx Perry for this hint.

And of course it would be interessting if somebody has another fix?

Gerd

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed