Home Forums Software InstaDMG ilife/safari update issue – lets find an answer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    knowmad
    Participant

this is gonna sound odd, but I was reading what Larkost wrote in answer to someone else and it made me think of a question:
    Larkost has been unable to stop the installers for ilife and safari updates from checking the booted machine…. So lets take a different tack. How does it check the booted setup? Does it check for specific folders, files or receipts?
    Can we trick it by temporarily hiding whatever it is checking for? THis is obviously something we would NOT want to include in instadmg itself but if we had a viable workaround, possible in script form, it would make everyone happier. I know I am less than happy having to keep one machine un-updated to allow these updates to run…
    I would say that I will investigate myself, but alas, I am too busy these days to do more than read the latest posts… and even that only happens once a week.

walt
    Participant

I am applying Safari updates without a problem. As for the iLife 9.0.3 Support, if you open the package with Flat Package Editor there are two packages inside of it. I haven’t tried but it may work to just pull these out and install them separately. I will try it and post back with an update.

[url]http://i29.tinypic.com/oghv6u.png[/url]

dead2sin
    Participant

The easiest solution I found for this issue is this:

I installed a fresh copy of 10.5 on my machine and installed only one update (10.5.7). Everything else I ignored. In fact, I turned off auto download for software updates so it wouldn’t bug me. Also, I deleted the receipts for anything that had caused me issues in the past.

As a result, I’ve been able to install iLife 9.0.3 Support as well as Safari within my workflow.

A note about the 9.0.3 update, if you install 9.0.3 support before iLife 09, iLife 09 will blow away the update and you’ll need to reapply it. Kind of a pain, so I just threw the 9.0.3 update at the end of my DeployStudio workflow and it works like a charm.

Hope that helps =)

Nate

knowmad
    Participant

nope, not really, as I need to update my machine, and I don’t want to blow it away every time I need to make a new image.
    So…. back to the original question, how is it checking? Would dumping the receipt work?
    (larkost?)

larkost
    Participant

Unfortunately at least the iLife update is written really well, it actually checks the versions on the two frameworks that it updates, and I wouldn’t want to go messing with this. The only problem is that it is escaping the chroot jail, and that is something that has to be solved by the installer team. I have a bug filed, but others should also file this with impact statements to get Apple to value it.

walt
    Participant

Okay so I successfully got the iLife Support 9.0.3 Update to apply by pulling the two package inside of it and installing them. I also installed iLife 09 on the same image and the update was still applied successfully. Basically you just need these two files (you can extract them with Flat Package Editor) from inside the iLife Support 9.03:

iLifeMediaBrowser_203.pkg
    iLifeSlideshow_103.pkg

When you install the update normally these packages that are referenced in the /Library/Receipts/boms directory.

magnusviri
    Participant

[QUOTE][u]Quote by: dead2sin[/u][p]The easiest solution I found for this issue is this:

I installed a fresh copy of 10.5 on my machine and installed only one update (10.5.7). Everything else I ignored. In fact, I turned off auto download for software updates so it wouldn’t bug me. Also, I deleted the receipts for anything that had caused me issues in the past.
    [/p][/QUOTE]

I just tried it and it doesn’t work for me. This is really aggravating. I’ve been working on it all week and it has to get done asap. I wish there were something we could do to fix this and not wait on Apple. I suppose my only option to get this done now is to not use InstaDMG or try to hack InstaDMG myself to fix this.

typofonic
    Participant

I was wondering if any of you could post the Flat Package Editor? Haven’t been able to locate it.

knowmad
    Participant

its part of xcode

dead2sin
    Participant

btw, I noticed that with ilife support 9.0.3, if you install iLife 09 AFTER you install the support 9.0.3 package, it overwrites it with iLife Support 9.0.0. I fixed this by adding the 9.0.3 package to the end of my DeployStudio Workflow and it worked fine.

If I install iLife08 after install the support 9.0.3 package, it works fine.

As for iLife08 and iLife09 themselves, I always use composer with the new and modified snapshot in order to make a fully updated package.

Nate

magnusviri
    Participant

I suppose a possible solution to this is for someone to re-create the Safari and iLife packages. That would mean installing it and finding what got installed.

walt
    Participant

[QUOTE][u]Quote by: walt[/u][p]Okay so I successfully got the iLife Support 9.0.3 Update to apply by pulling the two package inside of it and installing them. I also installed iLife 09 on the same image and the update was still applied successfully. Basically you just need these two files (you can extract them with Flat Package Editor) from inside the iLife Support 9.03:

iLifeMediaBrowser_203.pkg
    iLifeSlideshow_103.pkg

When you install the update normally these packages that are referenced in the /Library/Receipts/boms directory.[/p][/QUOTE]

This is the solution to installing the iLife 9.0.3 update that worked for me. Also the updates were still applied after installing iLife.

As for Safari, I am not having any problems with Safari 4 and applying updates. I am using InstaDMG build 187.

magnusviri
    Participant

10.5.8 includes Safari 4.0.2 and actually has a newer version of iLifeMediaBrowser (2.0.4 in 10.5.8, 2.0.3 in the 903 update) but it is missing iLifeSlideshow. Weird…

I’m going to create an image of 10.5.8 in a minute and if it works, this issue is momentarily solved.

magnusviri
    Participant

Ok it looks like that if you have iLife installed, then it will try to install iLifeSupport 903 *before* it applies 10.5.8 (I think).

And regarding Safari 4.0.2. 10.5.8 does not include several files that are part of the Safari 4.0.2 package, for example:

./usr/bin/xml2-config 100755 0/0 1599 4036109922
    ./usr/bin/xmlcatalog 100755 0/0 55648 3881220416
    ./usr/bin/xmllint 100755 0/0 96640 2924736576
    ./usr/share/doc/libxml2-2.6.16/*
    ./usr/share/man/man1/pubsub.1 100644 0/0 3708 89064510
    ./usr/share/man/man1/xml2-config.1.gz 100644 0/0 605 1501407451
    ./usr/share/man/man1/xmlcatalog.1.gz 100644 0/0 1874 3207053110
    ./usr/share/man/man1/xmllint.1.gz 100644 0/0 3486 1420467631
    ./usr/share/man/man3/libxml.3.gz 100644 0/0 859 4097268248

But I installed the packages using Apple’s installer and that box had these files… so I don’t know where they came from. Anyway, I’m just going to run InstaDMG and see what it makes.

magnusviri
    Participant

Well, there are some differences between what InstaDMG produced and what running the updates using Apple’s Software Update app (both built of the same dvd install). But the differences were remarkably small and probably not a problem. This is what is in my InstaDMG updates:

10.5.0 DVD

MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.8.pkg
    QuickTime762_Leopard.pkg
    AirPortUtility_Leopard.pkg (5.3.2)
    AirPortUtility.pkg (5.4.2)
    iTunes.mpkg (8.2.1)
    JavaForMacOSX10.5Update4.pkg
    FrontRowUpdate2.1.7.pkg
    HewlettPackardPrinterDrivers.pkg
    ProRuntime.pkg (5.0)
    iLifeSlideshow_103.pkg (from iLifeSupport 903)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed