Home Forums Software InstaDMG iLife Error: Not a Soft Link

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    andyboutte
    Participant

I am getting this error when trying to make my InstaDMG. Not sure if it is actually ilife but any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File “/Users/admin/Desktop/InstaDMG Leopard/AddOns/InstaUp2Date/instaUp2Date.py”, line 930, in
    main()
    File “/Users/admin/Desktop/InstaDMG Leopard/AddOns/InstaUp2Date/instaUp2Date.py”, line 921, in main
    thisController.parseFile(inputFilePath, topLevel=True)
    File “/Users/admin/Desktop/InstaDMG Leopard/AddOns/InstaUp2Date/instaUp2Date.py”, line 133, in parseFile
    self.cleanInstaDMGFolders()
    File “/Users/admin/Desktop/InstaDMG Leopard/AddOns/InstaUp2Date/instaUp2Date.py”, line 311, in cleanInstaDMGFolders
    raise Exception(“Not a soft link: %s” % thisItemPath) # TODO: improve error handling
    Exception: Not a soft link: InstallerFiles/CustomPKG/1/iLife’08.mpkg

larkost
    Participant

If you are using InstaUp2Date, then you can’t put anything of your own into CustomPKG or BaseUpdates. You have (at least) the iLife ’08 installer in there, and it is telling you that it will not erase it (since it is not an empty folder or a symlink).

andyboutte
    Participant

Ok. That makes sense. Thank you very much for the reply. But what if I want to install ilife and use instaup2date? As far as I am know you are supposed to put ilife in the cusotmpkg folder. Is that correct?

walt
    Participant

The way InstaUp2Date works is you place all of the packages that are required to build your image (Apple Updates, iLife, Office, etc.) into the /InstaDMG/InstallerFiles/InstaUp2DatePackages directory. Don’t place anything in the other folders except your Mac OS X Installer DVD in /InstaDMG/InstallerFiles/BaseOS.

Once you have that part done, InstaUp2Date uses Catalog Files that you create to build your images. Basically you create a catalog file, in which you reference the packages in /InstaDMG/InstallerFiles/InstaUp2DatePackages. There are example catalog files included with InstaUp2Date.

When you run InstaUp2Date it will only install the packages you want using InstaDMG based on what packages you referenced in your Catalog Files(s). The InstaUp2Date script creates symbolic links inside of the CustomPKG folders for you automatically (this is one of the major benefits of using InstaUp2Date so that you don’t have to do this manually).

You should read the InstaUpDate readme inside /InstaDMG/AddOns/InstaUp2Date/.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed