Home Forums Software InstaDMG I am not the Dread Pirate Roberts…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    larkost
    Participant

I just made the announcement at MacSysAdmin, but thought I should make the announcement here as well:

I have accepted a new job that will begin on Nov. 8th, and unfortunately this means that at that point I will no longer be able to continue as the developer of InstaDMG. I have really tried to find alternate routes to this, but this is how things have worked out. I have to make a living, and unfortunately a couple of possible rotes to doing both did not work out. But the position I will be starting looks like a great opportunity, and will be a real challenge for me.

It can’t be stressed enough how sad about the end of my involvement with the InstaDMG. This has been my hobby for the last couple of years, and I have poured a lot of myself into its development.

Now comes the real question: what does this mean for InstaDMG?

First off I still have more than a month of time before I have to give it up, and I am going to try and make the most of things. I have a list of goals for myself for 1.7, and there is going to be some real changes in the layout for that version.

I have also been trying to line up a new developer for InstaDMG, and thought I was going to have a new home for it to announce today, but that fell through last night. So this is very much an open question. I am working on figuring this out now. Once things get figured out on this front I will post back.

It has been a lot of fun, and a real challenge to be the lead developer on InstaDMG. I am sad that I am going to have to give up my involvement, but I am looking forward to this new job.

Allister Banks
    Participant

May I be the first to say congratulations! I’m sure you’ll have the opportunity to do even better and bigger things in your next position. Could we get a glimpse at your roadmap for 1.7? Thanks for all your hard work over the years, and best of luck finding a solid person to maintain the project from here forward. My python chops just aren’t there yet, but I’m cracking the whip on myself to be there one day.

Allister

dead2sin
    Participant

Congratulations on the new job. I definitely understand your decision and I hope that the new job is a dream for you.

I’ve been using InstaDMG for only about a year and a half but boy has it matured in that time frame. I’m really excited to see what you can get done before you have to call it quits and I do hope that someone will step up to the plate in order to keep InstaDMG going.

Thank you for all the word you’ve put in to InstaDMG, it really has made it the amazing tool that it is.

Nate

nobrainer
    Participant

I’m really disheartened to hear you go. With your hard work and the help from the message board you have been a HUGE help to me and have made a large impact on the mac community (it’s hard for me to talk to a mac admin who hasn’t at least heard of instaDMG and the expansive knowledge here).

Congrats!

bw38
    Participant

Although I’m new here, you’ve always had some great input and have been real helpful based on the reading I’ve done on InstaDMG the past few months. It’s a shame you can’t continue with its development, but you’ve laid a great foundation for the community to keep on going strong. Congrats on the new job. It’s always exciting when you get to take on a new challenge in your career. Good luck!

knowmad
    Participant

CONGRATULATIONS!
    I hope you’ll poke your head in from time to time.
    Thats fantastic news.
    Your coding will be missed, but its all good.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed