Home Forums OS X Server and Client Discussion Questions and Answers HomeSync broken- keeps replacing files I intentionally delete.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    JonThompson
    Participant

So, I had some issues with the nvidea chip in my macbook pro. I ended up getting a new one. I figure that this would be a good time to:

1) Test my HomeSync to see how close it is to the working machine
    2) Eliminate any chance of the various HomeSync problems being issues on the client itself.

A bit of background on my environment:

Server 10.5.5 – Server Side HomeSync OFF
    Client 10.5.5

So, I get my MBP all configured and start the sync. A couple hours later and 48 GB and it is done. Now to see what is working and what isn’t.

Problem #1- It looks like my syncs have been sketchy at best, as I have some things that were updated minutes before that are in the sync, but I have some things (pop email, iphoto library) that look like they haven’t synced in a long while. Fortunately I have my hard drive with my old user folder on it that I merge in. I also do some housekeeping- deleting some of the kruft that has accumulated.

So I have a problem in that HomeSync is not working reliably. Not sure what is up with that, and I need to get to the bottom of it, however, it is going in the backlog of things to do. While I am working on this, I notice problem #2- The files that I intentionally deleted are back. Rather than deleting them from the server, HomeSync decided that I do need that crap in my life, and put in back on my shiny new MBP.

So, I know the problem has to be something with the server files that run HomeSync, as anything else would have gone away with the new machine. However, I am at a loss to know how to fix it, as the documentation is anemic at best.

Finally, why doesn’t Apple just admit that their HomeSync technology sucks and replace it with a good rsync-based tech that has nice ties into the gui?

JonThompson
    Participant

So I guess no one will help me. No matter. It seems on the next sync that it took care of my problem, as my stuff is now correct in both places.

JonThompson
    Participant

PHD is a way to get everything a user has onto the server, where the server can be properly backed up. Or at least that’s what it _should_ be.

What I would really like to figure out is how I can have both a PHD and a OSXS Time Machine solution where they work in harmony with each other, but I don’t think that is possible until Apple makes it possible.

deemery
    Participant

[QUOTE][u]Quote by: MacTroll[/u][p]Hmmm, you should be able to have a PHD that’s also using TimeMachine to an AFP share. Although I can’t say that I’ve tried it.[/p][/QUOTE]

When I get my OS X Server machine (older PowerPC G5 2ghzDP) back up (big problems, I think bad RAM caused substantial disk corruption and I haven’t been home long enough to get everything restored. On top of that, I think its monitor went bad, too….), I want to try this. But I’m generally disappointed with Mobile account synching, it takes -way- too long. If I can’t get mobile accounts to work better than they did before the X Server machine crashed, I’ll jimmy something up myself using a tool like Synk. (My laptop’s home directory is FileVault protected, it’s a corporate/program requirement.)

Right now what I’m doing for backup, incidentally, is using a pocket disk drive. There’s a encrypted disk image on that drive, and every night at 4:00 Synk Pro launches, mounts the encrypted backup disk image, and copies/clones/updates it with what’s in my home directory. Of course this does not give me Time Machine’s “backups over time” feature, but it’s a lot better than nothing!

dave

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed