Home Forums AFP548 Community Article Ideas home-brew iDisk Server??

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    suranyami
    Participant

I know this has been roughly covered in a few places a while back… there were some way-cryptic notes about setting up an iDisk here:

http://www.drijf.net/dototto/wwwmac.html

But frankly, I could never get it to work… I’d REALLY like to use my own server as a Backup server, simply because I think that the Backup software that Apple has is about the coolest and simplest product out there… I’ve tried lots of others and they all have me tearing my hair out.

How about it? Anyone managed to get their own iDisk server working?

Cabbage
    Participant

I have no need for this since I use networked home directories. If I had local users then I’d attempt to do it. Has anyone else given it a shot?

suranyami
    Participant

> I have no need for this since I use networked home directories.

Okay, ‘scuse my ignorance here, but how does this help (or subsititute for) working with using Apple’s Backup utility?

I’ve gotta admit, I’ve looked at networked home directories with some bewilderment… what’s it for? If it can help in this situation, then I’m all for it.

In our scenario, we have 3 laptops that are in and out of the network all the time and 1 server.. at least 1 of the laptops is used for collecting and manipulating photographs, so it’s got a constant influx of large new files that we’d like to make sure are backed up. The laptops are almost always attached to the network overnight, so setting up some program (e.g. Apple Backup) to do an incremental backup in the early hours of the morning would be ideal.

So, more directly, I guess what I’m looking for is a reliable distributed backup strategy. I used to use Retrospect as part of my job a long time ago, but a) it drove me crazy and b) there’s no way I can justify the expense for our little non-commercial setup.

Cabbage
    Participant

>>but how does this help working with using Apple’s Backup utility?
    on my server in /Users there are 160 home directories for everyone in my company. I have to backup one folder on one mac to backup every users home dir. So it’s a much simpler backup stratrgy.

>>I’ve looked at networked home directories what’s it for?
    It’s for users to have their home dir/preferences travel from mac to mac. For instance I can log in to my mac and have my home dir and all my email and my preferences. I go to another mac next to me and log in as me I have all the same files. I go to yet another mac that is across the building and I still have all my files. I can be logged into all of them simulatenously too.

>>In our scenario, we have 3 laptops that are in and out of the network
    I wouldn’t use network home directories for laptops. You’re on the right track to back the home dirs to the server.

Why don’t you just use Carbon Copy Cloner or PSyncX to do incremental backups. Setup a schedule to back up to the server (if it’s availble). Or add a login/logout hook to copy the files to the server everytime they login and logout.

suranyami
    Participant

>>I’ve looked at networked home directories what’s it for?
    It’s for users to have their home dir/preferences travel from mac to mac.

Okay, this makes sense now. I’ll give it a try… we still have need for that too.

[quote:e013fde588]Why don’t you just use Carbon Copy Cloner or PSyncX to do incremental backups. Setup a schedule to back up to the server (if it’s availble). Or add a login/logout hook to copy the files to the server everytime they login and logout.[/quote:e013fde588]

Both of these suggestions are good… I’ll give them a try! Thanks

Still… I’d be very interested in having a fake iDisk server, anyway…

I guess I’ll have another bash at following the hints on that site I found, and see if I cant simplify the process some.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed