Home Forums OS X Server and Client Discussion Open Directory Guest Computers group in OD

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    fatherzimfire
    Participant

EDIT –

Fixed this.
    Creating a guest computer, and putting that in a group works great! Doh!

Next challenge – how to blacklist system preferences and applications….
    Blacklisting folder paths (or direct paths to apps) can be circumvented by renaming the application or moving it to a different folder…
    I can’t see a way to blacklist system prefs (other than enabling all, and switching off the ones I don’t want, which is not ideal)…

FZ

Hi,

I have an OD master bound to AD as per the Bombich PDF instructions.
    Everything works fine, but I’ve hit the problem that computers in AD are unable to be managed, due to the AD computer records not being aware of the MAC address of the machine.
    (See this thread on the Apple forums for more info: http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=6037733 )
    Users and groups work fine, and all managed preferences work as expected.

Does anyone know if there is a way to automatically add computers to a list when they are added to the directory services list on the client in directory utility?
    I keep reading about a default “guest computers” group that is supposed to exist on Leopard Server, yet this doesn’t appear to exist on my setup. Is this because the server is bound to AD and therefore isn’t the same as an OD master that isn’t bound to another directory service?

It just seems painful to have to manually add every single new mac to the list as they join the network for the first time.
    I’m happy to have 1 overall general list that has the same settings, so I’m not concerned about having different groups of computers etc.

Is there an obvious way to do this or am I missing something?
    Many thanks in advance for any help!

FZ.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed