Home Forums OS X Server and Client Discussion Questions and Answers Guest Account on Managed 10.7 Client Not Working

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    dlee_nueva
    Participant

I’ve got this Lion MacBook managed by a 10.6 Server to have the guest account enabled. Despite this, I am unable to log in as guest. The only thing that seems to be happening is that the checkbox to enable/disable the Guest account is greyed out. To enable the guest account, I have to disable the managed prefs to un-grey the tick box and re-able the guest account which at that point, creates the keychain for the guest account.
    Has anyone encountered this? I’ve tried baking in the enabled guest account into my OS image but that doesn’t work either. I would like to find a script to enable the guest account automatically as this would be a pain to do manually.

smkolins
    Participant

I see this problem – as does another: http:// groups. google. com/group/macenterprise/browse_thread/thread/43195a45aa7d8077/dcd30b02c10977ae?show_docid=dcd30b02c10977ae

Any success?

smkolins
    Participant

Found another one looking – so far no answers elsewhere – https:// discussions. apple. com/thread/3303142?tstart=733

btw my setup is Lion Server with Lion clients though I’ll also be doing this with Snow Leopard Clients.

smkolins
    Participant

not sure but saw this – http:// groups .google. com/group/macenterprise/browse_thread/thread/b7881c35c68a7705 – which says the OD created guest account is named guest1 vs guest.

MikeE
    Participant

Just wanted to add my name to the list of people having this problem. Mac OS X Server Snow Leopard with bound and managed Lion clients. Unable to enable the guest account on Lion clients from the Snow Leopard Server’s managed client settings. Works fine on Snow Leopard clients. Just started looking into the problem. I’ll let you know if I figure something out.

MikeE
    Participant

One thing that I forgot to mention is that our managed clients were cloned from a master image and Lion’s recovery partition is not there. I have come across articles — google “lion guest account disabled” — that lead me to believe that the recovery partition, FileVault 2, and guest accounts are closely tied together in Lion. Again, not sure if this is the way to go but it’s something.

Tim Sutton
    Participant

Same issue. I’ve tried setting guest via a 10.6 OD master, via a local MCX guest record and via a en0-identified local_desktop record in a separate /Local/MCX node.

We won’t have the recovery partition for labs but probably will for a number of office desktops. I’ve just tried enabling FileVault on my test machine that does have the partition, but it doesn’t seem to have any effect.

Although the guest login options are still present in WGM, I can’t find any such functionality in Profile Manager.

Is anyone filing bugs on this? I’m not successful with the latest 10.7.3 seed either. I’ve just posted these findings to the MacE thread linked earlier.

smkolins
    Participant

I’ve done it both on machines with and without the Lion rescue partition so I don’t think that’s related or at least directly – not to mention Snow has the same problem in my testing.

smkolins
    Participant

[QUOTE][u]Quote by: MikeE[/u][p]One thing that I forgot to mention is that our managed clients were cloned from a master image and Lion’s recovery partition is not there. I have come across articles — google “lion guest account disabled” — that lead me to believe that the recovery partition, FileVault 2, and guest accounts are closely tied together in Lion. Again, not sure if this is the way to go but it’s something.[/p][/QUOTE]

Intersting but from my reading that seems to say guest is incompatible with FireVault 2 but beyond that not related. I’m not using FileVault where I’m using Guest anyway.

Tim Sutton
    Participant

I’d encourage anyone to file a bug if this is important to them. I copied mine to openradar:

http://openradar.appspot.com/radar?id=1484401

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed