Home Forums Older Versions of Mac OS X and iOS Mac OS X Server 10.3 Bugs and Fixes Forget APPLE!! NEED UNIX HELP CUPS install

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    dragonmac
    Participant

Ok enough already Apple. They have not fixed the printing issues with the Print server and PS jobs from 9 and 10 clients. Many people STILL have this problem since upgrading from 10.2.X server which printed almost all jobs from all clients without issue.
    So I am Calling on the real unix folks out there to find a way to install the 10.2.8 server CUPS version on a 10.3.X Server software install. I’m sure it can be done how is what I hope the Apple community can come up with. I am posting this in multiple forums to get the widest response. Link below for all responces or post in this forum.
    Post comment here too
    I know this would be considered a custom install and Apple won’t support it but they offer very little support as it is now for OSX server unless you pay the $700-$20,000 fees involved with getting problems with their server software up to a tech who can really help you. From what i’ve read even at the paid support levels they have not solved the problems. I know I will most likely not be able to set up print Queues in the Admin Tools and/or Print Setup. I wonder If i could go back to Print Center? This is a Big problem and any solutions that get resolved I will post everywhere I can since I know this is affecting thousands of users in all kinds of mixed PS/PC/OS environments. We all need our print server to WORK!!!!

Details of the current problem: (this is related to my issue but I am sure it affects the MANY other issues with printing I have read about.)

I have 10.3.2 Server recently upgraded from 10.2.8 which was started as 10.2.3. The printers are all HP and the clients vary from 9 to X. All printing is done LPR/LPD.
    The problem as described a print job from basic apps (i.e. simple text, etc) works but disappearing with PS apps (Quark, Illustrator, Indesign, etc) happens here. No log entry of job at all or a malformed entry my occur. I had no problems under 10.2.3 to 10.2.8 with printing my jobs to server. As far as I see yes the CUPs version is the same in 10.2.8 to 10.3.2 BUT GIMP print has now been introduced to the mix. This is where I feel the problem may be.

I also have a case that they want me to send the log file. My case is 21981035 and they said they would send it up the line after they get the logs.
    Some notes on thing I found out while trying every trick to get it going.
    1. Spool Queue folders are created in 2 spot and don’t always get deleted when you delete the Queue. It won’t matter what you use to delete, Printer Setup, Server Admin, CUPS web GUI, or Print Setup Repair (A Great Shareware). Paths to folders to clean are /private/var/spool/atprintd and /private/var/spool/PrintService
    If you want to delete all queues a start pretty clean do the following: Login as main Admin and use Print Setup Repair to erase ALL Queue and repair any permission issues. Then Login as root and navigate to the Folders I mentioned above and delete there contents. (I suspect the atprintd folder was way I had “ghost” queue in AppleTalk. My queue list was empty but still showed in AppleTalk printer list on clients.
    2. The second big thing I found out is that the spool files DO make it to the server but just don’t print. I was able to take the file right from the PrintService folder queue folder and Drag it to the respective Printer Application (10.3 /user/name/library/Printers) or printer window in Printer Setup Utility. My temp solution for now was to use an iMac and install 10.2.8 Server and set queues up again. THEY WORK GREAT!!!

Anonymous

ok… don’t know if this is where I should ask this, but I’ll try…

I have an HP DeskJet 810c (usb). Panther client serves it well through printer sharing. Server forces the postscript thing. It is nice that by default it’ll self configure on the client machines to generic postscript, but I want to be able to allow special features like photo printing.

How should I set this up? I have a iMac 233 (weeee!) running an upgraded Jaguar -> panther install.

Thanks in advance!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed