Home Forums OS X Server and Client Discussion Xsan File creation dates / modification

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 18 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    sphen
    Participant

Just a quick survey of the xsan people here to see if anyone is having issues with preserving file creation/modification dates when initially copying files onto and xsan. the current setup i have at my disposal sets all creation dates to dec 1969 if anything at all. i have been able to update modification dates via a sync with rsync etc.. but the creation never sticks. short of ripping everything out and starting over, anyone else experiencing such things?

maccanada
    Participant

Which version of Xsan and OS X are you using, and how are you copying?
    Xsan 1.2 for Tiger (10.4.3 required) lists a creation date fix

cedge
    Participant

This issue is not common with 1.2, but you can use the cvcp command to get around this issue. If you use -z with the command it will preserve modification dates. This is how I always bring in data from external sources when I’m setting up one of these things (about 70 under my belt now) as it’s faster and has the ability to use -t to increase the number of threads for the copy…

Hope this helps!

Charles Edge, ACSA, MCSE, CCNA, Network+
    Author :: Mac Tiger Server Little Black Book
    Partner :: Three18 Consulting
    http://www.three18.com
    [email protected]

sphen
    Participant

ill have to take a look at that. thanks for the info!

Anonymous

We have just set up our first xsan system and i am having no luck fixing this issue. We have a new xserve set as mdc and three client machines. We currently have two of the machines authenticating to active directory on a 2003 DC. The other person is still using the local account instead of a network account. Everyone is at 10.4.4 and xsan 2.1.

Most files on the xsan have a 1969 creation date. While troubleshooting, I’ve played around moving data from each of the client. I used word docs to test. If you drag from one of the cleints to the xsan, that one client sees the correct creation date, but the others do not. If you save from inside word directly to the xsan, everyone sees the correct creation date. It it the same thing, no matter which client you use.

BTW, Apple support is ridiculous. The reason we went with a all apple was so that they would support it. I contacted them yesterday, the person could not help me so they “escalated my case” to a system engineer. Then said that someone should contact me in a couple of days. That isn’t what I consider escalating my case. These cleints are doing nothing but finalcut work, which relies on creation date information. ridiculous.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed