Home Forums Archive Exim Installer Exim Retry DB Errors

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  gdrury 16 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #355423

    erkmac
    Participant

    Hello,

    I am getting some messages appearing in my /var/log/exim_mainlog that concern me a bit. Here is one of them:

    2003-03-20 12:12:46 HC255A-0001UN-00 failed to open DB file /var/spool/exim/db/retry: Inappropriate file type or format

    Here is the listing of /private/var/spool/exim/db:

    drwxr-x— 6 smmsp smmsp 204 Apr 1 14:29 .
    drwxr-x— 6 smmsp smmsp 204 Mar 20 12:12 ..
    -rw-r—– 1 smmsp smmsp 0 Apr 1 14:29 retry
    -rw-r—– 1 smmsp smmsp 0 Apr 1 14:29 retry.lockfile
    -rw-r—– 1 smmsp smmsp 16384 Apr 1 15:36 wait-remote_smtp
    -rw-r—– 1 smmsp smmsp 0 Mar 21 11:09 wait-remote_smtp.lockfile

    I tried deleting the retry files so that they would be recreated (suspecting a permissions problem), but that didn’t solve it.

    I find some rumblings through google searches that my problem has to do with an incompatible DBM version, but I am not sure what that is. There was also mentions of compiling under one version of DBM and running under another causing this problem.

    So, my questions:
    1. What are the ramifications of these error messages? (Is it something I should be worried about? )
    2. Will exim still be able to retry these messages?
    3. Is there a fix short of recompilation?

    Thanks,

    Eric

    #356279

    gdrury
    Participant

    I’ve had this problem on two occasions. Both were different causes as far as I can tell. The first was caused by running db 4.? I’d been trying to get Postfix working with pop-before-smtp with little success and it required db 4. When I installed exim from the afp548 installer I had these db problems you described. Once I’d removed db 4 completely those problems went away.

    The second time I had the db errors was after appplying the latest security update (8/2003) to my OSX client. I then started having problems and only noticed something was wrong by the complete lack of email I was getting.
    It turns out that the permissions on /var/mail had changed. a ‘chmod 1777’ on /var/mail fixed the problem and my exim system is running fine again. I’m still unsure whether the permissions change was caused by the security update or the ‘repair permissions’ I ran afterwards.

    Hope this helps.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed