Home Forums OS X Server and Client Discussion Questions and Answers Dual Ethernet Cards in OS X 10.2 Server

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    tegbains
    Participant

Hello. My server has two ethernet ports and I would like to have the two ports to sit on the same physical network (192.168.222.x), but have each port use a different router (.1 and .254). That way the server would be accessible via both routers (and thus both net connections). However, I can only get the port that is listed first in the Network system pref pane to listen through the routers. Internally on the network, both ports are available for use. However, only the top most listed port works outside of the network. Both ports use a 24 bit subnet mask. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

dave@mmu
    Participant

it sounds like you need to change the subnet mask for the card that you want to connect to the .1 router as entering 255.255.255.0 will default the system to look for a .254 router id.
    You need to download a subnet calculator from versiontracker or something to work out what the subnet mask should be.
    Hope that helps.
    Dave

Anonymous
    Participant

If your hardware allows, set up a VLAN on your LAN switch.
    Basically, server (S:), router1 (R1:), and router2 (R2:)

if your LAN users use R1 for internet connection, then:

VLAN 1 – S: , R1:, rest of the LAN
    VLAN 2 – S: , R2:

This keeps router1 and router2 separate, but each is accessible by server. LAN is limited to using router1 for internet traffic. (I am assuming R2 is a backup circuit, or dedicated circuit to a remote office.)

HTH – aleghart

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed