Home Forums OS X Server and Client Discussion DNS DNS Management in Mac OS 10.6

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Wylertay 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Wylertay
    Participant

We are currently running Mac OS 10.4.11 server, and we will soon be upgrading to Mac OS 10.6.3 server on a new Xserve, and I have a question about how DNS is managed in Mac OS 10.6.3 server.

We run DNS internally only. On our 10.4.11 server, we switched to manually editing our zone files in command line rather than managing our DNS records in Server Admin because of a couple of problems.

Let’s use mydomain.com as our example domain. Server Admin automatically makes the ‘A’ record of the zone (mydomain.com) as the same IP address as the OS X server itself (host.mydomain.com / 192.168.0.5). Our problem is that our company’s website is hosted offsite. So, if someone on our LAN opens a web browser with the domain, mydomain.com, it opens to an error (instead of our website) as our OS X server is not running web services. For a number of reasons, our web developer has the website setup as domain.com and redirects any requests to http://www.mydomain.com to mydomain.com because the SSL certificate and search engines were setup for the address mydomain.com INSTEAD of http://www.mydomain.com. We cannot change this until the next overhaul of our website (which could be years).

As a workaround, I went into command line and started editing our zone files manually. So, I changed the ‘A’ record of mydomain.com to be the IP address of the server that is hosting our website externally. That fixes our problem.

However, editing zone files in command line has its own problems, and I would prefer to do it from Server Manager.

So, does Server Manager in 10.6 have the same problem in that it makes the address for the ‘A’ record for mydomain.com the same as our OS X server host.mydomain.com?

And secondly, is there another way in our OS X server of directing internal web requests from LAN workstations for mydomain.com on port 80 and 443 to our website that is hosted offsite?

And thirdly, would it be better to register a second domain, mydomaininternal.com, and use this zone on our OS X server rather than using mydomain.com?

Wylertay
    Participant

Problem resolved. Rather than doing a split horizons DNS setup, I will just go with a separate domain name for internal use. That will solve everything.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed