Home Forums OS X Server and Client Discussion DNS DNS Forwarding 10.3.9 Server

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    calisurf
    Participant

I have 10.3.9 Server DNS configured so that forward/reverse lookups can be done. On the server side, I have added, 127.0.0.1, as its DNS. On the client side, 10.3.9, I have added the IP of the XServe as its DNS. All external internet traffic works fine, where I am having a problem is with intranet servers within the college. Currently no client machine can access intranet servers unless I remove the IP of the server from the client machines. I thought I would get around this by adding a forwarder to /etc/named.conf

forwarders {
    10.3.30.110;
    };

forward only;
    min-roots 1;

but to no avail…..any help would be appreciated.

calisurf
    Participant

If I have the IP of the machines that I can not access on campus can I add a CNAME for them and point the XServe DNS at them?

uptimejeff
    Participant

The forward should have taken care of it.

Otherwise…

You can add zone files for any domain you choose.
    Add a Master Zone for domain.edu and create A records (without reverse) pointing the name to the IP address.

If you know someone with the school, you could ask for a copy of the entire zone file.

One note…
    If you add a zone file for domain.edu and the “only” record you add is:
    big.domain.edu
    If you try to resolve any other host for that domain (small.domain.edu), you will get an error.
    Your DNS server thinks it’s authoratative for the domain, so if the host record doesn’t exist, it doesn’t exist (as far as it’s concerned). So you do need to be careful that you add all records for the domain and they are accurate.

tkn0spdr
    Participant

I’m having almost the opposite problem. I set up DNS on my server and it’s working great. I can now surf to my internal sites when I never could before.
    I can still surf the Internet but it’s much slower than it was when my clients were using my ISPs nameservers instead of mine. What do I need to do to get resolution back up to speed without loosing the functionality I’ve gained?

Ross
    Participant

[QUOTE BY= tkn0spdr] I’m having almost the opposite problem. I set up DNS on my server and it’s working great. I can now surf to my internal sites when I never could before.
    I can still surf the Internet but it’s much slower than it was when my clients were using my ISPs nameservers instead of mine. What do I need to do to get resolution back up to speed without loosing the functionality I’ve gained?[/QUOTE]

You do exactly what the person did in the first post. You add forwarders to your DNS server so any domains that do not exist on that server get forwarded to your other ISPs nameservers.

Zeheeba
    Participant

You may be having this problem because Your ISP’s dns server has a server that is responding much quicker. If you are using the schools dns server, it might be overloaded and slow to respond. If you point the main forwarder to your ISP’s dns server, you can enter in a zone entry into your named.conf like this:

zone “nyu.edu” {
    type forward;
    forwarders ” xx.xx.xx.xx; “;
    };

The “nyu.edu” would be the base domain for your school or organization. And of course the xx.xx.xx.xx would be the ip of your schools/orgs dns server. Then when ever your dns server recieves a request for xxx.nyu.edu it will seek a response from your schools dns server. All other requests will be directed to your ISP’s dns you specified in the main forwarder.

This setup allows you to have the speedier lookups for the internet without losing the ability to access your internal site.

Hope this helps…

Regards,
    Z

allmac
    Participant

Please let me know the correct syntax for editing the named.conf file in order to implement forwarders – I can’t seem to get it right – I’m running TIGER server.

thx!
    [email protected]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed