Home Forums Software InstaDMG disabling printer sharing via MCX record

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    knowmad
    Participant

Hello all,
    Anyone know how to permanently disable printer sharing via MCX records?
    I traced which plists are affected byturning on printer sharing in the sharing control panel, it seems to be /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.server.plist however when I check out the changes made to that plist I discover that it is not so simple as an on-off switch. When you turn it on it adds a service to the list, turn it off it takes the service away. That means I could permanently add the service but I don’t know of a way to permanently un-add the service.
    (it also affects the /system/library/launchdaemons/org.cups.cups-lpd.plist file in the same manner).
    ANy help is greatly appreciated.
    Knowmad

Giobbi
    Participant

lpadmin?

-o printer-is-shared=true/false

knowmad
    Participant

ok, stupid question time: is lpadmin a plist? an mcx record? more details please
    knowmad

mosen
    Participant

lpadmin is a command line app. It’s part of the cups package methinks.

knowmad
    Participant

ah, ok, thanks, that I can work with…. any idea if it will work on a non-booted volume or do i need to create a startup script/daemon/something?
    knowmad
    (beginning my own research now)

Patrick Fergus
    Participant

I’d guess that lpadmin won’t work on a non-startup volume. You could use any other UNIX command line tool (i.e. sed) to make the change. Or, if you’re like us you can overwrite cupsd.conf with your changes. We’re already overwriting cupsd.conf to allow non-admins to add printers.

Note you’ll want to keep an eye on cupsd.conf if you overwrite it. Possibly Apple may fix something that requires an updated cupsd.conf, and if you’re overwriting it with a modified older version you might have problems.

– Patrick

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed