Home Forums OS X Server and Client Discussion Active Directory Clicking “Login Items” hangs Account pane of Sys Prefs for AD users in 10.5.2

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    honestpuck
    Participant

Hi,

I am attempting to change the “Login Items” on some Macs that are bound to our local AD domain.

If I log in as a local admin account then I can change my own login items no problems.

If I log on using an AD account, either as an AD admin with admin rights to the Mac, or by creating a mobile account and changing the rights to admin, or by just logging in as a standard AD user I cannot get past a hang when I click on “Login Items”. Strangely I can quit System Preferences but not close the window or switch to “Show All”. I get this behaviour regardless of the net connection – plugged in or not plugged in.

Clues anyone?

Tony Williams

schilled
    Participant

This is a known issue. I don’t recall which forum I found more info about it on. I don’t know how widespread of an issue this is for you but if it is one user here or there you can do what I do which is use Pref Setter from versiontracker.com and manually edit the loginwindow.plist in the users Library folder. If it is the same application for all users then you can edit the plist for your user template. I do this with the program Keychain Minder (also from versiontracker) that checks the keychain due to people changing their domain passwords other than in system preferences.

I know there was a lot of info in there, does that help?

thomasfb
    Participant

It appears to be a Managed Preference for Mobile Users.

If you disable managed preferences during login, you’ll find the Login Items page works as expected.
    (to prompt for managed preferences hold down option while clicking the login button on the Leopard login screen)

thomas

macmattias
    Participant

I cannot uncheck the “Force local home directory on startup disk” if I do and then recheck the then click the “Create mobile…” the Force button get check without me being able to uncheck it.

So I will try the other tip with management thing. 🙂

I can report that it works perfect, now I can access Login Items again. Yiha!

cashxx
    Participant

Yea I can second the “Force home to be local” option….simply uncheck that and that fixes the issue. I put in a bug report and it was supposedly fixed in 10.5.3 but I am running 10.5.4 and its still not fixed.

I have a mobile account as well…I’ve already logged in once and have a mobile account….so i just unchecked the Mobile Account setting and the Force local home setting in the AD plugin and my account stayed as a Mobile account and also I can use the login items pane again. But I’m on my own un-managed machine in the office and stuff so I can do this without worry.

I did however just run across this…..if others see this post this may be of some use to someone. I haven’t tried it myself but sounds promising….Its called LoginControl 1.0 and basically is supposed to let you control your Login Items without using the Accounts Pref Pane.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/35807

-Dan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed