Home Forums OS X Server and Client Discussion Backing Up BRU or Retrospect

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    stevek
    Participant

I have been using Retrospect 6.1 on my xserves, running 10.5.x I have had nothing but issues with it on my intel xserves.
    I have had resort to mounting the shares via AFP, and backing them up from there.

I have a G5 as my tape server connected to a Tandberg Data Magnum 224 LTO-4 conected via Fiber Channel.
    3 G5 xserves running 10.5.x
    1 G4 xserve running 10.4.11.x
    1 intel xserve 10.5.x
    1 g5 tower running xserve 10.5.x
    1 intel tower running xserve 10.5.x

I was wondering if any one else is using BRU, and if they have had better results with that?

wemeck
    Participant

Steve–

What kind of issues were you having with restropect?
    At one of my school buildings I have seen log in issues and users losing connections or access to their folders.
    Also seeing disabled/asleep, but I never installed the No/AFP sleeper.

Please let me know.

Than
    ks.

skeates
    Participant

I have not looked at BRU, but herd it is not very friendly ( I may be mistaken). I am going through a similar issue at the moment were I need to move away from retrospect 6 because it can’t handle my data efficiently any more.

I was looking at a few products namely PresStore and Amanda. I have tried both PresStore is easy to work with once you play with it for a bit and works like a charm. Amanda I did not have as much luck with. I had issues setting it up so am staring towards PresStore. It has a price tag with it, but well worth it.

Just my two cents.

wemeck
    Participant

My problem happened to be related to Retrospect 6 and 10.5.x running on intel servers. We did not see the problem on Retrospect 6 and 10.5.x on PPC servers.

Thanks,
    -M

jaduke
    Participant

[QUOTE][u]Quote by: stevek[/u][p]I have been using Retrospect 6.1 on my xserves, running 10.5.x I have had nothing but issues with it on my intel xserves.
    I have had resort to mounting the shares via AFP, and backing them up from there.

I was wondering if any one else is using BRU, and if they have had better results with that?
    [/p][/QUOTE]
    I’ve not looked at BRU for a couple of years, but never could get it really working the way that I wanted.

I’m still running Retrospect 6 (G5 xServe, 10.5.8 & Intel xServe 10.4.11 w/Kerio) and not having issues.

I’ve also been running Retrospect 8 and having good luck with it. 8 isn’t perfect, but getting better. The interface is very different than 6, so there’s that learning curve, but once you get the hang of things, it is pretty straightforward. The reason I adopted 8 was that it now supports Disk-to-Disk-to-Tape (or Disk) that 6 never offered. Having those pieces of media off-site is a great peace-of-mind enhancement.

Cheers,
    Jon

stevek
    Participant

I did switch to BRU, the interface SUCKS but once you get past that it is real powerful. It is nice and scriptable and I haven’t had an issue once I set it up.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed