Home Forums Archive Bindery Bindery question

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    TheMacKat
    Participant

I have set up a couple of domains on my sever using Bindery. I have a couple of questions about this program:

1. How can I test my configuration to make sure it’s working?
    2. Does the BIND controller in Bindery override the DNS Service button in Server Settings? The zone files aren’t showing up in DNS Service, but some programs like Bindery control system services separately from the Apple settings (i.e. the updated components that Aaron Faby creates, Apaches, My SQL, etc.). If so, should I turn off DNS Server in Server Settings?

Thanks.

TheMacKat
    Participant

1. How do I use dig? What should I be looking for? What will tell me if it’s working or not?

2. I am using Server and I already configured a couple of zones–I am hosting about 9 websites on my machine. Server Settings doesn’t list any zones even after I run through all the steps with Bindery including install in the Bindery controller.

One thing I noticed in the preview config file is that several lines need to be uncommented for Server Settings to see the zones. How do I do this? When I went into terminal and tried sudo pico /var/named it said “file read error.”

Perhaps a more funamental question is, do I even need to use DNS Services on my server? I run the server behind a firewall. However, I use Xname for my main DNS servers. Is this enough? What’s the advantage of running my own DNS server?And how do I delete the zones I’ve already put in without hosing the basic DNS settings on my server?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed