Home Forums OS X Server and Client Discussion Active Directory Bind Lion to Active Directory with a shell script

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    prometheon123
    Participant

Hello,

Does anyone have a script to bind Lion to Active Directory? I ask because the script that I use, one that I got from Mike Bombich’s website many years ago, and has worked since Tiger, doesn’t seem to work with Lion.

A snippet from my script:
    # Standard parameters
    domain=”sespactivedirectory.northwestern.edu”
    id=”myaccount”
    password=”mypassword”

# Advanced options
    ou=”CN=Computers,DC=sespad,DC=northwestern,DC=edu”
    preferredserver=”sespdc1.sespactivedirectory.northwestern.edu”
    multidomain=”enable”
    mobileconfirm=”enable”
    caching=”enable”
    localhome=”disable”
    mountstyle=”afp”

Specifically, I get dsconfigad: Node name wasn’t found. (2000) when I define AD in my script. This was never an issue with Tiger-Snow Leopard.

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Ryan

aaulich
    Participant

Hi Ryan,

AD binding in Lion is broken (at least in the 10.7.0 version), so it might be that your script starts working again as soon as Apple has fixed AD binding.

Cheers,

André

ptrondsen
    Participant

I got mine from Snow Leopard to work.
    It’s based on the Bombich script, I had to modify a few things.
    In order to get it to work in Snow Leopard and Lion, I had to add a few sleeps at the end.
    Good Luck

Script:
    #! /bin/sh
    clear
    # User input
    # Check to see if root
    amiroot=`whoami`
    if [ $amiroot != root ]; then
    echo “”
    echo “ERROR! You must sudo to root to use this script”
    echo “”
    exit 1
    fi

unit=Begining of AD NAME
    ou=”OU=”

### Getting Computer Name
    g=0
    while [ “$g” -eq 0 ]
    do

printf “\nEnter Username: ”
    read name
    echo $name
    if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
    g=`expr $g + 1`
    else
    echo “Invalid input, please renter asset number”
    fi
    done

####End Computer Name

printf “\nEnter AD account that has rights to bind computers to AD: ”
    read udn
    printf “Enter password: ”
    stty -echo
    read password
    stty echo
    # Standard parameters
    domain=”yourdomain.com” # fully qualified DNS name of Active Directory Domain
    orgname=`scutil –get ComputerName`
    computerid=${unit}${name}
    printf “%16s\t%16s\n” “$orgname” “$computerid”> /tmp/”$unit.txt”
    #exit
    scutil –set HostName $computerid
    scutil –set ComputerName $computerid
    scutil –set LocalHostName $computerid
    #computerid=`echo “$up” | tr ‘a-z’ ‘A-Z’`;exit

# Advanced options
    alldomains=”enable” # ‘enable’ or ‘disable’ automatic multi-domain authentication
    localhome=”enable” # ‘enable’ or ‘disable’ force home directory to local drive
    protocol=”smb” # ‘afp’ or ‘smb’ change how home is mounted from server
    mobile=”enable” # ‘enable’ or ‘disable’ mobile account support for offline logon
    mobileconfirm=”disable” # ‘enable’ or ‘disable’ warn the user that a mobile acct will be created
    useuncpath=”disable” # ‘enable’ or ‘disable’ use AD SMBHome attribute to determine the home dir
    user_shell=”/bin/bash” # e.g., /bin/bash or “none”
    preferred=”-nopreferred” # Use the specified server for all Directory lookups and authentication
    # (e.g. “-nopreferred” or “-preferred ad.server.edu”)
    admingroups=”Your ADMIN GROUPS”,
    printf “\nComputer is being added to Active Directory with a name of “$computerid” please wait.\n ”
    ### End of configuration
    # Activate the AD plugin
    defaults write /Library/Preferences/DirectoryService/DirectoryService “Active Directory” “Active”
    plutil -convert xml1 /Library/Preferences/DirectoryService/DirectoryService.plist
    # Bind to AD
    dsconfigad -f -a $computerid -domain $domain -u $udn -p “$password” -ou “$ou”
    sleep 15

# Configure advanced AD plugin options
    if [ “$admingroups” = “” ]; then
    dsconfigad -nogroups
    else
    dsconfigad -groups “$admingroups”
    fi

dsconfigad -alldomains $alldomains -localhome $localhome -protocol $protocol \
    -mobile $mobile -mobileconfirm $mobileconfirm -useuncpath $useuncpath \
    -shell $user_shell $preferred

sleep 10
    dsconfigldap -v -a yourodserver
    sleep 15
    dscl /Search -create / SearchPolicy CSPSearchPath
    dscl /Search/Contacts -create / SearchPolicy CSPSearchPath

sleep 30
    dscl /Search -append / CSPSearchPath “/Active Directory/All Domains”
    dscl /Search -append / CSPSearchPath /LDAPv3/yourodserver

sleep 15
    dscl /Search/Contacts -append / CSPSearchPath “/Active Directory/All Domains”
    dscl /Search/Contacts -append / CSPSearchPath /LDAPv3/yourodserver

# Restart DirectoryService (necessary to reload AD plugin activation settings)
    killall DirectoryService

exit 0

ptrondsen
    Participant

I was getting the node error in the final beta, and had to go back to the previous version first, and then go to gm to get it to work. I think they fixed that in the final release.

Macleod
    Participant

If you look at dsconfigad, you will see that the arguments have changed.
    10.6:
    dsconfigad [-f] [-a computerid] -domain fqdn -u username [-p password]
    [-lu username] [-lp password] [-ou dn] [-status]
    10.7:
    dsconfigad -add domain -username value [-computer value] [-force]
    [-password value] [-ou dn] [-preferred server]
    [-localuser value] [-localpassword value]
    Update your scripts to use the new arguments, and you should be fine.
    You should note though that dsconfigad now automatically adds “All Domains” to the search path on bind, and few options can be configured before the machine is bound, since there is no longer a persistent plist tracking the ad options. If you turn off “All Domains”, you will need to manually remove it from the Search Path.

–DH

wadewei
    Participant

[QUOTE][u]Quote by: Macleod[/u][p]If you look at dsconfigad, you will see that the arguments have changed.
    10.6:
    dsconfigad [-f] [-a computerid] -domain fqdn -u username [-p password]
    [-lu username] [-lp password] [-ou dn] [-status]
    10.7:
    dsconfigad -add domain -username value [-computer value] [-force]
    [-password value] [-ou dn] [-preferred server]
    [-localuser value] [-localpassword value]
    Update your scripts to use the new arguments, and you should be fine.
    You should note though that dsconfigad now automatically adds “All Domains” to the search path on bind, and few options can be configured before the machine is bound, since there is no longer a persistent plist tracking the ad options. If you turn off “All Domains”, you will need to manually remove it from the Search Path.

–DH[/p][/QUOTE]

I agree with that, and we should use new bind script specially for Lion with correct syntax and parameters order of command dsconfigad to try it. According to some tests on Lion 10.7.1 with Win 2003 AD, I wrote a simple one bind script. Sure, it’s still based on previous AD bind scripts, but you can see some things are changed in “#Bind to AD” and “#Configure advanced options” sections. Please feel free to try, and give feedback.
    [code]
    #!/bin/sh

# Active Directory Bind Script For Lion Client
    # Modified by Wade Wei according to previous popular bind script

#Basic parameters
    computerid=`scutil –get LocalHostName`
    domain=”contoso.com”
    udn=”macbinder”
    password=”afp54801!”
    ou=”OU=maccomputers,DC=contoso,DC=com”

#Advanced parameters
    alldomains=”enable”
    localhome=”enable”
    protocol=”smb”
    mobile=”enable”
    mobileconfirm=”disable”
    useuncpath=”enable”
    user_shell=”/bin/bash”
    preferred=”ad1.contoso.com”
    admingroups=”CONTOSO\Domain Users”
    localadmin=”maclocaladmin”
    localpwd=”mac01!”
    ksauthority=”enable”
    namespace=”domain”
    packetsign=”require”
    packetencrypt=”require”

# Bind to AD
    dsconfigad -add $domain -username $udn -password “$password” -computer $computerid -ou “$ou” -preferred $preferred -force -localuser $localadmin -localpassword “$localpwd” -packetencrypt $packetencrypt
    sleep 5

#Configure advanced options
    dsconfigad -localuser $localadmin -localpassword “$localpwd” -alldomains $alldomains -localhome $localhome -groups “$admingroups” -mobile $mobile -mobileconfirm $mobileconfirm -namespace $namespace -packetsign $packetsign -useuncpath $useuncpath -protocol $protocol -shell $user_shell -authority $ksauthority
    echo “Bind domain done!”
    exit 0
    [/code]

Thanks,

Wade

prometheon123
    Participant

Thanks to everyone who responded. I really appreciate all the help.

I’ve tried some of the posts here and I’m still getting the segmentation fault errors intermittently across our network. What’s worse, even after I delete the object out of AD, remove all prefs from DirectoryService, I now get an error that the system is already bound to AD and that I have to unbind it first.

Our Apple SE told me that 10.7.2 focuses heavily on fixing dsconfigad. I have a developer account so I’ll have to try 10.7.2 out in the lab to see if things are better. Fingers crossed.

electrowave
    Participant

[QUOTE][u]Quote by: aaulich[/u][p]Hi Ryan,

AD binding in Lion is broken (at least in the 10.7.0 version), so it might be that your script starts working again as soon as Apple has fixed AD binding.

Cheers,

André
    [/p][/QUOTE]

AD binding in Lion works fine. I was able to bind to AD with Lion right out of the box. The issue with Lion is when you try to bind to Open Directory. 10.7 will not bind to a server that is not at least 10.6 if it requires Authenticated Binding. It will fail every time.

KWik
    Participant

[QUOTE][u]Quote by: aaulich[/u][p]Hi Ryan,

Cheers,

André
    [/p][/QUOTE]
    [QUOTE][u]Quote by: electrowave[/u][p]
    AD binding in Lion works fine. I was able to bind to AD with Lion right out of the box. The issue with Lion is when you try to bind to Open Directory. 10.7 will not bind to a server that is not at least 10.6 if it requires Authenticated Binding. It will fail every time.[/p][/QUOTE]

AD binding in Lion depends on server, I’d say. Wednesday I was unable to bind to a Win2008 server. Friday I managed to bind, but today the binding seems to be broken. After trying to fix it, DirectoryService isn’t even running after a reboot. Turns out killall DirectoryService is outdated. [CODE]opendirectoryd is a launchd(8) job which replaces “DirectoryService”[/CODE] …
    Anyhow, before a softwareupdate at least I had contact with the catalogue (checking with id) but still I was unable to log in. I got the spinning beachball and had to force a restart after quite some time.

Logs say:
    [CODE]
    Sep 19 10:04:22 hf-foo com.apple.SecurityServer[22]: Succeeded authorizing right ‘system.login.console’ by client ‘/System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app’ [58] for authorization created by ‘/System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app’ [58]
    Sep 19 10:04:22 hf-foo loginwindow[58]: Login Window – Returned from Security Agent
    [/CODE]
    and /Users/username dir has been created. But looking at all the logs, it seems that after my user was checked and cleared by Security Agent, parentalcontrolsd is acting up even before authorizationhost confirms a cerated home dir:

[CODE]
    19.09.11 10:04:20,238 parentalcontrolsd: ActivityTrackerForUID [693:] — *** Couldn’t get user name from uid 3180098417
    19.09.11 10:04:20,238 parentalcontrolsd: _FCXMIGUserCanLogin [2251:] — *** tracker for uid 3180098417 was nil.

19.09.11 10:04:21,774 com.apple.authorizationhost.00000000-0000-0000-0000-0000000186A4: creating home directories for (hf-foo.local)
    19.09.11 10:04:21,774 com.apple.authorizationhost.00000000-0000-0000-0000-0000000186A4: created (/Users/klaus)
    [/CODE]

and then the dealbreaker:
    [CODE]
    19.09.11 10:10:02,542 com.apple.launchd: (com.apple.launchd.peruser.3180098417[193]) getpwuid(“3180098417”) failed
    [/CODE]

repeated ad nauseam.

IANAACSA, but this hints at some problems with the AD-OD communication, specifically that while OD manages to lookup my user name (through AD) and get my uid, it fails to do the reverse.

EDIT: formatting the quotes a bit.

Klaus Wik
    (The ids has been changed to protect the inn innoc … *cough*)

KWik
    Participant

[QUOTE]
    [CODE]
    19.09.11 10:04:20,238 parentalcontrolsd: ActivityTrackerForUID [693:] — *** Couldn’t get user name from uid 3180098417
    19.09.11 10:04:20,238 parentalcontrolsd: _FCXMIGUserCanLogin [2251:] — *** tracker for uid 3180098417 was nil.

19.09.11 10:04:21,774 com.apple.authorizationhost.00000000-0000-0000-0000-0000000186A4: creating home directories for (hf-foo.local)
    19.09.11 10:04:21,774 com.apple.authorizationhost.00000000-0000-0000-0000-0000000186A4: created (/Users/klaus)
    [/CODE]

and then the dealbreaker:
    [CODE]
    19.09.11 10:10:02,542 com.apple.launchd: (com.apple.launchd.peruser.3180098417[193]) getpwuid(“3180098417”) failed
    [/CODE]

repeated ad nauseam.

IANAACSA, but this hints at some problems with the AD-OD communication, specifically that while OD manages to lookup my user name (through AD) and get my uid, it fails to do the reverse.
    [/p][/QUOTE]

*sigh* OK

So a hint for you if you see the same as I do. Log in as a local user and try
    [CODE]
    id username
    netstat | less
    [/CODE]

and verify that you get all the required established connections to the server. I was on the wrong subnet. Trying again now.

Klaus Wik
    (The ids has been changed to protect the inn innoc … *cough*)

prometheon123
    Participant

All –

I’m happy to report that the binding with a shell script has been fixed in 10.7.2. Hard to believe Lion shipped with this being so broken.

Regardless, things are working as they should now.

– Ryan

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed