Home Forums OS X Server and Client Discussion File Serving Basic Share Point with guest access?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    theboyk
    Participant

I’m trying to set up a basic file sharing folder in OS X Lion Server and am wondering if someone can help?

This is what I am trying to so:

– Create a folder called “TEST” on Lion Server.

– Via Server.app > File Sharing > assign the folder “TEST” with the following permissions:
    > Test User (an Open Directory user) = Read & Write
    > Administrator (local admin) = Read & Write
    > Staff = Read Only
    > Everyone Else = Read Only

I then mount that TEST Share Point on a different machine, logging in as Test User (who has Read & Write permissions). As Test User, I copy a JPG to the TEST Share Point.

The goal is to allow guest users (i.e., “Everyone Else”) to be able to mount the TEST Share Point and view the images (as they should have READ ONLY access). But, this isn’t working. Instead, the images that are copied to the TEST Share Point end up with “No Access” for the “Everyone Else” (or “Others” depending on how I’m looking at the file) permissions. So, while they can see the actual JPG in Finder, they can’t actually open it/view it/copy it to their Desktop because they have “No Access”.

I’ve done this many times pre-Lion Server, so I have absolutely no idea why this isn’t working in Lion Server?

How do I create a Share Point, assign a user to it with Read & Write permissions, and assign Read Only permissions for “Everyone Else” and have those permissions applied to any files placed in said Share Point?

Thanks,
    Kristin.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed