Home Forums Archive VaporSec Admin password no longer works

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Participant

Upon startup, I enter my admin user’s password and receive the error message “Doh, that password didn’t work.”

Particulars:
    – I’m not “fat-fingering” the password
    – The password hasn’t changed
    – I don’t have caps lock on
    – Panther 10.3.3 on PowerBook 667
    – VaporSec 1.0 (10.3 version I found here in the forums)
    – Vaporsec was working fine yesterday
    – I’ve repaired permissions on my OS X disk

Suspected Cause:
    – Downloaded and installed Apple’s Airport update today (it’s the only thing that’s happened to the system since yesterday.)

Anonymous
    Participant

I have the same problem and I didn’t d/l any airport software upgrade lately.

In fact this was the first time I tried VaporSec and I tried my OSX login password (yes I do have admin privs), then I tried a blank password, nothing.

I am now not so sure that VaporSec actually asks for the OSX login password. The dialog is rather ambiguous and we should be suspicious of downloaded AppleScript utils which ask us for the system’s admin password, don’t you think so? I’d say this should always be done through OSX’s standard dialog for this purpose.

rgds
    benjk[color=black:4f3cbbb0bb][/color:4f3cbbb0bb]

Anonymous
    Participant

[quote:07ea0f924c=”MacTroll”]VaporSec tests for you password by doing a sudo command using your currently logged in user as the user name.

Applescript Studio is rather limited in authentication abilities so this is a bit of a hack to get around that.

If you’re user is an admin, but has no sudo ability, perhaps because you have been removed from the /etc/sudoers file, then you will not be able to get this to work.

Joel[/quote:07ea0f924c]

would it be possible to adjust the script to ask for a username and a password and su to that account before doing the commands?

Basically I normally run with a non-admin account and it would be nice to be able to startup a tunnel without having to use fast user switching to login and create the tunnel first.

Anonymous
    Participant

Thanks for the replies folks…

As an update, VaporSec is still not working on my system. It was working just fine for months prior and up to April 20th. Something happened during that Airport update that totally hosed VaporSec (I still have no clue as to what it could have been.) I have removed the software, cleaned the Library and reinstalled VaporSec three times with no success.

MacTroll, I checked and yes, my user has sudoer privileges. (sudo vi /etc/hosts –> added a host entry –> saved the file) Thanks for the tip though.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed