Home Forums OS X Server and Client Discussion Updates 10.4.10 and Portable Home Directories

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    mikemchargue
    Participant

Our initial testing of 10.4.10 shows a potentially troublesome issue. After an update, Portable Home Users experience a synchronization conflict on thier next login. Resolving this requires a full sync to resolve.

This would obviosuly be troublesome if users have homes that are too large or if you updates too many machines at once and overloaded your home directory servers. We’re trying to find a solution, but failing that we’ll have to to a very staggered launch to avoid employee downtime.

I thought this may be helpful to those who are less cautious about rolling out OS updates. 🙂

abalest
    Participant

I set up the Open Directory service to sync at login and logout on an X-serve. I set the folders to include and skip. When I look at the network home for each user, it is still syncing folders that are in the skip list and are NOT even in the include list. Background sync is set to never.

Included: ~/Desktop, ~/Documents, ~/Library, ~/Public, ~/Sites (all Full Path)

Skipped: ~/Movies, ~/Music(full path), various file extensions ie .mp4, .mp3(ends with)

yet when i look in the mobile users network home there is an iTunes library sitting in the music folder. Any ideas of why this would happen.

flip
    Participant

👿

Yes there is a problem with Portable Home Directories. Also, I noticed when it does a background sync it now mounts the home directory temporarily on the desktop does the sync and then dismounts. Before it seemed as it was always mounted when it could but out of the users sight. I’ve experienced the same problem you have had and when I do a complete resync it works for about a day and then screws up again. I had to temporarily disable Portable Home Directories until they acknowledge something is screwed up and fix it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed